Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    new guy1234 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2010, 11:25 PM
    I chipped tar off underground gas line with a shovel.
    I chipped a 1 inch dia piece of tar off the underground gas line with a shovel, can I replace the tar myself? I believe it to be a "coal tar pitch" coating. Not sure where to get the tar and how do I apply the tar. If I need a professional to do the job would it be a plumber?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2010, 05:40 AM

Legality of patching I'm not sure.

A can of car undercoating spray or brush form would patch it fine.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2010, 06:09 AM

Believe it or not, I have scene workers patch actual openings in a gas line,, with gum.. then fill over it.

You haven't punctured the actual line,so a plumber isn't necessary.

Any tar based material could be used,say roof cement,in a tube, or from a can,the whole purpose of the coating is to protect the pipe from corrosion.

Don't quote me as far as the legality of this, it is only from 25+ years in the trades I base my information on.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2010, 08:13 AM

I agree with KBC. Use roofing tar/ cement. Extend tar a couple inches past edge of chip for a good seal.

Good luck

Chuck
    new guy1234 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2010, 11:03 PM

Thanks Guys, I will try the asphalt roof cement in a tube. I was going to also wrap with Christy's pipe wrap but not sure on the comparability of the tar and the pvc, will research.

This is my first time in any kind of open forum, thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pressure Testing an new underground gas line [ 16 Answers ]

Hi all, I am in the process of adding a new coated 1/2" natural gas line underground to a patio area. I wanted to pressure test it before I bury it and I cannot seem to find the leak. I have a gas pressure valve from Home Crapo that goes up to 15psi. I filled the pipes up with this on and...

Connection to gas range gas line too large for gas line intake valve [ 2 Answers ]

Connection to gas range gas line too large for gas line intake valve. How can I step the range back line down a step. Is there some kind of converter I can buy?

Breaking into underground PVC sewer line [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a drainage problem with my property (it was improperly graded years ago). A previous owner installed a 5" or 6" PVC line 18" below-ground from the problem area in the backyard out to the front of the house (it may dump into the city sewer line or just ends in a dry sump area near the...

Plumbing, Underground Gas Line [ 9 Answers ]

Under the UPC in effect and with a 3/4" galvanized gas line stubout at a residence in California built in 1999, the following questions are posed:

View more questions Search