Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ocsrfr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2010, 09:48 PM
    Using real names in nonfiction
    My name, first and last, was used in a nonfiction published book. I was not asked nor did I give permission for its use. The recall of events involving me were not entirely accurate and in some cases describe incriminating events that I would prefer not divulged to the public. I was a teenager when these events took place. A lot of people do things as teens that as adults, they would rather not have the general public know, for professional reasons or other. Being a parent now, I would not want my child or myself to suffer a possible backlash, even on a minimal level for this. What can I do about it?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2010, 09:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ocsrfr View Post
    The recall of events involving me were not entirely accurate...... What can I do about it?
    Hello o:

There are two criteria necessary to win a defamation lawsuit, (1) the published statement is untrue, and (2) you have measurable damages resulting from it. If you don't have both, there's nothing you can do.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using real names in a non fiction book [ 4 Answers ]

I have written a non fiction memoir in which I use real names and real events. Everything I have stated in the book is true. I have signed a contract with a publishing company and my book is currently being edited and printed. At the request of a friend who read my book and wondered if I could be...

Writing a book using real names [ 1 Answers ]

Im writing abook about a true event. Can I get in trouble or sued for using real names?

Changing names on real estate deed [ 4 Answers ]

:rolleyes: My mom wants to put my name on her real estate deed (her home). She has life residency. Will a form on the internet be sufficient? She is 88 years old.

Organizing a Nonfiction Library [ 2 Answers ]

I have an extensive nonfiction library that I would like to organize. Some, but not all, of my books already have ISBN numbers, Dewey Decimal numbers, and Library of Congress numbers but many do not. Is there affordable software that would help me assign Dewey Decimal numbers, or some other...

View more questions Search