Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crystalm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2006, 11:25 AM
    Help me please
    I have always been a big worrier, however lately it has taken over my life. I worry about the future, money, jobs, and most of all, what people think of me. I have feelings of self hatred, and I obsess if I think someone is mad at me or doesn't like me. I don't know what to do anymore. What's wrong with me?
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Nov 28, 2006, 11:36 AM
    This may be beyond the scope of this forum to help since it could not only be a number of things but it will take more than what can be offered here to affect it. Clearly its anxiety running out of control but whether that is part of something bigger or not is for a profressional to determine after a thorough examination. Much like a broken leg, our minds can become broken too. Its not our fault. However you will need to seek a mental health counselor, psychologist or psychiatrist to gain relief -- whether it be medication, talk therapy, or modifications in how you live or any combimation of them. If you don't know where to start, begin with your regular doctor. You deserve to live happy and I believe it is very possible to find relief. I hope this helps since I know what unrelenting anxiety feels like and its definitely not fun!
    sadiesmom Posts: 43, Reputation: 8

Dec 2, 2006, 12:42 PM
    I strongly encourage you to seek counseling; there really is a lot of help available ot there. Counseling and possibly an anti-depressant can make a big difference. The right anti-depressant can also help with your anxiety. It sounds like a lot of what you are dealing with is negative self talk. A good therapist can help you learn to change your thinking patterns and confront false beliefs. Barbara
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2006, 03:31 PM
    Nothing is wrong with you. Everybody goes through this at one time or another. It all depends on how you deal with it and work through it. First step is asking for help which you already have.

Seeking counseling is the best advice but I will mention other things that will help.

Doctors might prescribe something very light. Something that will ease in anxiety and relax you but these medications are highly addictive and should be restricted, because it is only a bandaid solution.

Meditation. Learning meditation retrains the way you think. Meditation helps ease worry and stress and overall spirit of the person will be helped with practise. Meditation is the best, it is all natural and is good for all aspects of health.

Exercise. Get into a routine of more exercise. Exercise releases tension at the same time, exercise will reduce stress which will reduce your worry.

Eating healthier, chosing healthier foods will actually give a balance in your brain which will help you focus and think better.

Hope all these suggestions help.

Joe
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 2, 2006, 06:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    Doctors might prescribe something very light. Something that will ease in anxiety and relax you but these medications are highly addictive and should be restricted, because it is only a bandaid solution.
    While I agree with most everything Joe said, I would like to point out something, maybe trivial, maybe not.

The meds prescribed today are not necessarily addictive. Yes, Xanax is, Effexor is, etc... There are too many to name.

However, there are many that are not addictive at all, Celexa for instance, is an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor). Many of these drugs are not addictive at all. While they are sometimes considered a bandaid drug, and that they should be, they work in quite an interesting way.

A bandaid is a great way to describe it, interestingly enough. Some of these meds help you focus on daily life, get priorities into perspective, etc, because they help you be able to manage the stress and worry in your life.

Once you get "all your ducks in a row" you can come off these meds rather easily. Much in the same way a bandaid works.

There is no shame in meds if needed. I took some for a while right after my 4th child was born (I was 38) and had 3 older children, went back to college and worked a full time job. The meds helped me focus, helped keep me from worrying. I was on for 6 months and never needed them again.

That is all I wanted to add to what Joe said. Everything else he said was perfect, as usual.
    sadiesmom Posts: 43, Reputation: 8

Dec 2, 2006, 06:13 PM
    Effexor is an anti-depressant and is not addictive. Most all of your anti-anxiety drugs are addictive but there are some that aren't. You doctor can help you find medication that is not addictive.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 2, 2006, 06:17 PM
    Okay, you got me Barbara ;), Effexor is not addictive. But the withdrawals can be brutal depending on the dosage.

Celexa is safe to go on and come off.
    pumibel Posts: 84, Reputation: 16

Dec 3, 2006, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sadiesmom
    Effexor is an anti-depressant and is not addictive. most all of your anti-anxiety drugs are addictive but there are some that arn't. you doctor can help you find medication that is not addictive.
    You have to watch out with Effexor- it has what the doctors call. "discontinuation syndrome". When the medcine levels drop in your blood, you have symptoms that are not very pleasant. I take it, and I have had extremely good results. I know that if I want to stop I have to go off gradually.
    ConfusedDesire Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2006, 07:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by crystalm
    I have always been a big worrier, however lately it has taken over my life. I worry about the future, money, jobs, and most of all, what people think of me. I have feelings of self hatred, and I obsess if I think someone is mad at me or doesn't like me. I don't know what to do anymore. Whats wrong with me?
    I have always been the same, about a year ago it took over my life as well. I kept getting dizzy and had a constant fear of fainting and losing control. It sounds like anxiety. Seek a friend, counsler which you can talk to. I started medication gradually and got better. Watch out since at first it does have side effects but it gets better. ALso learned to meditate, do yoga to relieve stress. Google relaxing breathing exercises and yoga. ALso try to get 30 for yourself, light a candle, go to a quiet place, try to clear your mind and breath deeply. It def makes you feel better. I hope it helps. You can beat it though <33

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search