Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lucy3054 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2010, 07:30 PM
    If loss on sale of inherited property is not deductible, how do you report 1099S?
    Sale of inherited property
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 3, 2010, 07:30 AM

You can report the sale on Schedule D. Complete columns (a) through (e) -- your cost basis is the fair market value of the property as of the date of death. If you have a loss, put $0 in column (f).
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 4, 2010, 05:18 AM

If the property was home property, loss is not deductible. It it is business property, loss is deductible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sale of an Inherited Home at a Loss [ 4 Answers ]

In 2006, my wife and her brother inherited a home from her Dad. The estate is now closed. The home was assessed before the estate was closed. When we sell the home, we will probably incur a "loss", i.e. sell it at less than the assessed value. Is there any possibility for a tax deduction?...

Taxes on Sale of Property Inherited [ 2 Answers ]

My sister and I lost our Mom in Dec and she left us several properties. We plan to sell her house this spring. We are wondering about the tax implications here. Will we have to pay taxes on all that we inherited when we sell it. Thanks for your help.

Claiming a loss from the sale of inherited property [ 19 Answers ]

I have talked to at least a dozen different people, including four people at the IRS and two CPA's, and I can't seem to get an unequivocal answer to my question. I inherited my mother's house in late 2007 and sold it at a loss four and a half months later. I have a qualified appraisal to...

Capital Loss on Inherited Home Sale [ 0 Answers ]

I inherited my mother's home in June 2006 selling it in Mar 2008 at an approximately $85,000 loss. I called the IRS and was told the entire loss is fully deductible and not subject to the $3,000 normal limit. I'd appreciate knowing what IRS Topic or Publication would clarify this issue? Thanks

Tax on sale of Inherited Property [ 1 Answers ]

My mother passed away in Nov of 2006 and left her home that was in trust to myself and my two sisters. We sold the property in mid 2007. Is there any tax owed on the sale of the home? The house was in trust, so don't know why there would be. But read on IRS site that we must fine the basis of the...

View more questions Search