Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tenille.bentley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2010, 05:47 PM
    External Hard Drive won't assign a volume
    Hi There
    I have tried everything and searched many websites but can't find an answer to my question.
    I have a external Hard Drive, that I have successfully used every day, I took it home and had to format it and then put new info on it. When I brought it back to work, it would not automatically pick up the drive.
    So I went into computer management, and the drive is recognised there, but has no volume assigned.
    It won't let me assign a volume, as the options are all greyed out.

It's almost like it is recognised (reads Healthy, Active, Primary Partition) but just won't come up on my computer so I can access the files.

I have done shut downs and reboots, tried different USB's and tested it on other computers (my home computer which is a mac), works fine.
    This computer is a Vista. However worked perfectly before I took it home and reformatted it emptied the contents and put new info on it.

Anyone out there - can you help?
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2010, 06:47 AM

Most likely is that when you formatted it on the Mac, you used the default (Mac-only) HFS+ format. This won't be accessible on Windows PCs.

Here is a good article on how to format the disk to make it usable on both the Mac and PC.

I hope this helps clear things up,
    WallyH

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

External hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I have a simpletech external hard drive, windows 98se, connected to a usb port. The "safely remove hardware" taskbar icon is not showing up any longer. I am afraid to switch of the hard drive.

External hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

How do I move my files to the external hard drive

External hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a western digital 500 gb external hard drive with only one usb port and no firewire. I have two other external hard drives with firewire and usb ports. I need to transfer data from the two old external hard drives to the new western digital external hard drive. Could there be any...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Can't assign letter to hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

Today I reformatted my "c" drive and reinstalled Windows XP,Home, SP2. I had saved all my files to a second hard drive already on the computer. The second hard drive shows up in BIOS, Device manager and disk management. In disk management it has no letter, just the name I gave it before. It was...

View more questions Search