Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bellelulu Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Mar 2, 2010, 10:21 AM
    Answer a summons if already negotioated payment plan?
    I have received summons in phx az, for a credit card debt. We have since negotiated with the "plaintiff" for a re-payment plan. Do we still have to file an "answer" to this summons (can I really trust them) we are within the 20 day filing period, but would like to save the $200 filing fee. Also if we need to file anyway, do I make reference to the re-payment plan we entered into?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2010, 12:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bellelulu View Post
    (can I really trust them)
    Hello belle:

They're going to want a judgment to back them up in case you don't pay. The court doesn't care that you've entered into a payment plan. If you don't answer, they'll get a default judgment, and if you do and have no defense they'll still get a judgment and the legal fee's you're going to pay will go up.

However, if your payment plan was negotiated with the idea that they wouldn't file suit, you need to be in touch with them again. This time get the agreement in writing.

excon

Mar 2, 2010, 12:39 PM

Waiting for agreement papers to come - so I guess the papers should state they will not file suit, thus don't need to file an answer? Thanks for any and all help I'm feeling a little out of my league and lost here!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2010, 12:59 PM
    Waiting for agreement papers to come - so I guess the papers should state they will not file suit, thus don't need to file an answer?
    Hello again, belle:

Yes, the papers SHOULD state that they won't file suit... But they DID file the suit already and if you don't answer, the fact that you've got an agreement with them won't help you get the judgment set aside. That's what'll happen if the lawsuit proceeds WITHOUT you. If you don't answer they can ask for, and GET a default judgment. The first time you'll hear about it is when they empty your bank accounts and garnish your wages even though you've been paying...

Collection agency's are scumbags and NOT to be trusted. I'd spend the $200 filing fee.

excon
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2010, 01:04 PM
    I have received summons in phx az, for a credit card debt. We have since negotiated with the "plaintiff" for a re-payment plan. Do we still have to file an "answer" to this summons (can I really trust them) we are within the 20 day filing period, but would like to save the $200 filing fee. Also if we need to file anyway, do I make reference to the re-payment plan we entered into?
    I'm surprised they're charging you to file a response; that's not how my state works. Usually the plaintiff files the lawsuit and has to pay the filing fee; I've never heard of the defendant having to pay just to file an answer, whether admitting or denying guilt. And even if Arizona charges you to file, I can't believe it's $200 - what type of case is this, small claims or civil?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2010, 01:26 PM

Is the filing fee the cost of filing the lawsuit against you (and you are paying legal fees in connection with collection) or the cost of an index number to file the agreement?

I'm surprised the creditor isn't proceeding to Judgment PLUS getting a signed repayment agreement. If they have both and you default they can immediately lien according with the laws of your State.

Mar 2, 2010, 02:10 PM

Civil lawsuit and I think it's the cost of an index number. So in filing the answer, do I reference the re-payment plan just in case to show good faith?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Mar 2, 2010, 02:14 PM
    I would definitely file an answer and say in the answer that the matter has been settled and you are waiting for the creditor to put it in writing. Then hopefully the court will mark it as settled without a trial and the creditor won't have a judgment.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 2, 2010, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Is the filing fee the ... or the cost of an index number to file the agreement?

... I think its the cost of an index number. So in filing the answer, do I reference the re-payment plan just in case to show good faith?
    So in "phx az", they charge you to file an agreement? It appears to me that there is provision for creditors to file agreements when they want something in court in case the creditor fails to abide by the agreement.

Don't file the agreement, but definitely file an answer reciting that you have reached an agreement. In fact, you should probably attach your agreement to the answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Payment Plan Mortgage payment behind [ 3 Answers ]

I was recently off work for two months and unable to pay my mortgage payments. My company put me on a payment plan and now they are charging me with other fees that were not told to me. I want to know how can I find out if their practices are legal. Who is the watchdog for these companies. I am...

Trying to work out a payment plan [ 5 Answers ]

I received a summons of judgement this morning from a law firm by the name of Pressler and Pressler. It stated a judgement was brought against me in April of 2007. I received no other notice prior to this one. Included in the summons was a questionnaire about my finances. It said that the...

Payment plan to repay the IRS [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know if I can set up a payment plan on taxes owed to the IRS for early withdraw of my 401K. What type of interest will they charge?

Payment plan [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have been contacted by a collection agency to pay a $6000.00 debt which is legit. I want to negotiate a payment plan. What is the minimum monthly payment I should ask for that the agency will accept without taking me to court? Thanks,

View more questions Search