Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pashmina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2010, 09:21 AM
    Where is deleted data stored on a hard drive
    Where exactly is data stored on a hard drive after it is deleted from the recycle bin. Which location on the hard drive does it occupy?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 2, 2010, 09:30 AM
    There isn't a specific location.
    To fully understand you need to know about file deletion.
    Basically what happens when you empty the recycle bin the space is marked as available and the first character of the file name is changed.
    The data doesn't physically move anywhere.
    The file system allocates the needed space on the fly.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2010, 09:34 AM

Hello pash:

It's stored in little packets all over your hard drive, and the data can still be recovered. If you want to erase it permanently, run your defrag program, or use a utility that wipes your hard drive.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for the information-where deleted files are stored after deleted from recycli [ 7 Answers ]

Well it's a tough one so ill try to explain the best I can When you delete a file it can be undelted with programs I'm not concerned with undeleting the file where is the information stored on my hard drive I'm looking for the information that tells the undeleter program what been deleted ...

How long is info stored/ able to be found on hard drive? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm getting divorced and one of the things my X husband wants is access to my home computer to prove "my chat usage". I readily admit I chattted during our marriage and my computer is right in my living room, no secret there. I am wondering what a normal average non expert can pull from my...

Recover data from Hard Drive [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am wondering if there is an easy, simple(yes, very simple), step By step way to recover data info from my computer hard drive?? I am not a computer geek, as in, not extremely knowledgeable as Far as computers go, so it would have to be very 1,2,3 or A,B,C As far as steps. Thanks for the...

How to recover data from hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

My Dell computer crapped out on me. I pulled both hard drives and they appear to be intact. I'm able to read them when I add them as slaves to my other computer. Here is the problem: My primary User on the primary drive, "Bob", will not allow me to access it. I can access all of the other Users,...

Transferring data from old hard drive. [ 2 Answers ]

My old Gateway Notebook running Windows XP died (the power supply went and the computer won't power up). I bought a new HP notebook running Windows Vista. I'd like to recover some of my data and files from my old computer (and possibly reformat the hard drive so that I can at least sell the...

View more questions Search