Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1stgenbird Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2010, 06:35 AM
    Strange Humming in House
    70stang - I have this same humming sound in my home. I hear it at night when I go to bed but I do not hear in the morning or during the day. I live in a rural location far away from any industrial or mechanical area. I have gone to different rooms and the sound is there. At first I thought it might be a car idling at my neighbors but it wasn't nor do I hear anything when I step outside.
    My wife does not hear the noise but could be I am more sensitive to low frequencies. I too, am at a loss to explain this.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 2, 2010, 07:35 AM

A long time ago I had a call with symptoms like yours, Only this one kicked in at 3 in the AM and scared hell out of the customers. They thought their house was haunted. It was hard the track down because the water picked up the vibration and carried it throughout the house. We call that sympathetic viberation. Take your hand and run it around the flat part of the flapper. Are the edges a little wavey? If so you have found the culprit. What's happening is the water seeping past the flapper lowers the water level in the tank and the ballcock attempts to compensate. In time the water seeping out and the water coming in will balance out. The ballcock can't shut off and the sound you hear is the washer vibrating against its seat. The repair is simple. Replace the flapper. A few installation tips. The linkage between the flapper and the flush lever should have 1/4" of play when the flapper's seated. The water level should be 1/2" below the top of the white overflow tube when the tank is filled. Hope this helps, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 2, 2010, 09:50 AM

In addition to Tom's advice,iIt can also be number of other things, like:

1. speakers
    2. security system at main panel
    3. computer left turned on
    4. door bell transformer
    5. icemaker
    6. celiing fan
    7. electrical wire over the roof
    8. pool equipment from neighbors
    9. hot water circulation pump
    10. Refrigerator
    11. Water conditioning system
    12. Smoke detector
    13. Any electrical device in your house
    14. Sprinkler system
    15. Roof vent

And more...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Strange smell in my house [ 16 Answers ]

I have a strange smell in my house it started 1 week ago I thought it was coming from outr heater vents like a gas smell I called the fire dept they test for carbon monoxide there was none they said it smelt like ammonia or cat piss I smelled the carpets and cat pan no smell I let the house air out...

Mysterious humming noise in the house [ 113 Answers ]

Hello, I hope you folks can help me. Recently, we have been hearing a loud, low frequency "hum" throughout our house. I have turned the main power off to determine whether it's electrical. It's not. The noise does sound like a "fog horn" going off several blasts at a time and the noise level...

House not cooling.outside unit humming.fan trying to start. [ 1 Answers ]

I noticed our house was not cooling properly. The inside unit was running and air was blowing out, but it wasn't cold. I went outside and the unit was making a constant humming noise, and the fan was not blowing at all. So.. I turned everything off.. pulled the breaker off and turned it back on....

Humming sound in house [ 3 Answers ]

I have reviewed the other questions in regards to the humming sound, but have not been able to apply them to my home situation. I live in a condo with 3 units (side by side), one floor. At about 3:00 am in the morning I hear this "humming" type of sound, and sometimes during the day a "light...

House Humming- Need Advice [ 2 Answers ]

I am having the same problem as others with a low frequency hum. I want to try your remedy with the toilet, but I am very unfamiliar with the different parts. Would you mind explaining it all to me in a way I could understand - someone who has never worked with toilet. Where is the ballcock and the...

View more questions Search