Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pennyp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2010, 06:49 AM
    Once you sell a home of a deceased parent do you have to hold money in an account for
    Once you sell estate of deceased parent and pay off all the debit, do you still have to hold money in an account for any period
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2010, 09:15 AM

Hello p:

You should NOT sell a deceased persons home until the estate has been probated and YOU are designated the executor or the heir. Probate will also take care of any debts the deceased had, so once probate happens and you are authorized to sell the property, you can do anything you want with the money.

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 2, 2010, 01:40 PM
    Sort of what excon said, except that in probate you are required to publish notice to any creditors who may be lurking in the woodwork. Only after a certain amount of time has elapsed from such publication, can the proceeds be distributed to the heirs or devisees.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I go to jail for keeping my deceased fathers money from his bank account? [ 1 Answers ]

My father passed away 4 months ago.. we have not gone to probate and I filed a probate 1300 form at his bank to obtain the money in his account. Our attorney said we will not go to probate and everything is to be divided equally. I am pretty much in charge. Can I go to jail for keeping the money in...

Can a bank hold your money even if there are no holds on account? [ 4 Answers ]

I have money in account all got off hold today went in bank to get money out said I couldn't why is that?

Bank account of deceased parent [ 1 Answers ]

My mother has passed eight months ago. I received a letter from her bank about a account they informed me I was entitled to this money now they are giving me the run around for the last six months how long should it take to send me a check

Deceased? Who can get the money from the account [ 1 Answers ]

My father was just deceased and he had a checking account. I have his PIN and his bank card. If I use this and get money from his account will I be doing something against the law?

Sell of deceased owners home [ 1 Answers ]

DECEASED homeowner property. I have power of attorney . Family wants to sell home now,but there is a unsecured loan on property. Can they seek payment after home is sold? Would I (power of attorney) be responsible to pay?

View more questions Search