Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    priji Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2010, 01:02 AM
    Can I marry catholic girl without being converted to catholic?
    Hi
    I am hindu boy and my girlfriend is roman catholic we both are from india we have decided to spend our life together, my girlfriend wants to marry in roman catholic church as she said its her marriage with me will not be held valid till she get married in church as per christianity and also its her wish I want to fulfill her wish , I have heard that if I want to marry my girlfriend in church I have to convert to catholic, I have also read answer on this forum which says I don't have to convert but in india situation is totally different there are number of cases where priest has refused interfaith marriage I just want to know whether I can marry my girlfriend in church without converting myself suggest me keeping in mind india`s situation I will be thankfull to you all help me out
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Mar 2, 2010, 12:15 PM

I can't speak for the cultural expectations of religion in India, but I can tell you what happened to me.

Here in Canada, to marry a Catholic, I had to attend marriage preparation courses, which were no big deal. I also had to agree to raise any children as Catholic. I was well informed and made a decision to agree. I did not have to conform myself.

The problems arise more when religious differences come into play when you are faced with doctrines that are essentially different, but equal. Decisions have to be made about schools, attending church etc.

The Priest, in my opinion, should not refuse to marry you because you have different faiths, that is descrimination in my opinion.

But, perhaps start with a visit to the local priest, and ask him directly to counsel you on what you can expect. He will tell you, according to your cultural differences, what he will and won't do. And more importantly, what is expected of you.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 3, 2010, 10:15 AM

As much as she expects from you, you should also let her know what YOU expect from her. Marriage is much more than an official ceremony. Its also the way you live, treat each other and raise your children.

Does she know what she is required to do for YOU?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2010, 08:17 AM

Interfaith marriages are permitted in the Catholic Church and are honored by the church. If you choose to marry in a Catholic church and/or by a Catholic priest, you must complete pre-cana which is church-based premarital counseling. The priest leads you through very valuable discussions on topics like your views on managing money, extended family ties, values, having children and so on that have been found to be important things to understand about one another before you marry. The idea is to ensure you are fully compatible because marriage is intended to be life-long.

The church also asks that you commit to raise your children Catholic.

The church, at least in America, will permit a marriage conducted by a priest alongside a non-Catholic cleric so you can have a combined Catholic/Hindu ceremony if you wish.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Oct 12, 2010, 05:47 AM

Naren, please do not use Chat Speak. It is against site rules:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/faq.ph...#faq_faq_rules

Since the op hasn't been back since March, 2010. I have asked that the thread be closed to allow attention to go back to those currently seeking advice.

Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Catholic marriage divorce' wanting to re-marry [ 7 Answers ]

I was married in the catholic church and now divorced. I've met a wonderful man who has asked me to marry him, and I'd like to get married by a priest or minister close to the catholic religion. I do not wish to obtain an annulment of my first marriage.

My girl is SDA, and I'm catholic and we always fight because of that. [ 13 Answers ]

I love my girlfriend with all my heart and she loves me as much. She is my soulmate. She is a strong christian, strongly following the seventh day adventist teachings. I am strongly catholic with a strong catholic background. We tend to argue a lot when we talk about religion because of those...

A Catholic ? [ 3 Answers ]

What does it mean to be a Catholic?”

Can a Hindu girl marry a Christian without getting converted in a church? [ 22 Answers ]

Hi I know that this is going to be a little long question. But I want get all my doubts clarified ASAP. Plzzzzzz help! I am a Hindu girl and I'm planning to marry a christian guy. After years of struggle, we have finally convinced our parents and they are now ready to c us married. The main...

Divorced Prodisent wants to marry catholic [ 3 Answers ]

I am a divorced prodisent who wishes to marry a catholic women. Is there any other way other than an annulment? Will it help if I change my religion?

View more questions Search