Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Nov 28, 2006, 08:53 AM
    Nissan maxima 99
    My wife has a cowoker who has a 99 Maxima. The car will shut off when she is coming to a stop. Doesn't happen all the time.
    A garage said it may be the map sensor and quoted her $500.00 to replace it.

Any thoughts what may be the problem?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2006, 09:17 AM
    Yes, MAP Sensors are expensive, but $500 is ridiculous. Only replace the MAP Sensor as a last resort.

Get a scanner and check for any codes being thrown. Autozone will do this for free. If it indicates the MAP Sensor is the problem, shop on line for the best price (e.g. RockAuto.com) and replace it yourself. They are normally super easy to replace.

I would also make sure her idle speed is set properly and that normal ignition maintenance has been performed recently; e.g. spark plugs. Most V6 owners neglect replacing plugs, because of the difficulty of reaching the rear plugs. Platinum plugs should normally be replaced at half the recommended mileage. My hunch is that this could solve her problem.

Nov 28, 2006, 09:25 AM
    Thanks tx. What would a ball park price on the part be?
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2006, 09:37 AM
    Which part?
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2006, 09:40 AM
    Here's what a MAP Sensor would cost:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...4,partGroup,19

Look at the associated picture. How difficult does that look to replace?

Nov 28, 2006, 09:53 AM
    Looks very labor intensive to replace. LOL
    Thanks for the info.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Algebra-maxima minima [ 1 Answers ]

A man sells biscuits in boxes of different sizes. The biscuits are priced at Rs 2 per biscuit up to 200 biscuits. For every additional 20 biscuits in a box, the price of the whole lot goes down by 10 paise per biscuit. What should be the size of the box, that would maximize the revenue?

'90 maxima starter [ 1 Answers ]

Where is the starter located on my 1990 Maxima? I need to replace it & understand that it is a simple process. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2000 Nissan Maxima blowing smoke [ 4 Answers ]

My 2000 Maxima blows smoke when I start it up! The longer the engine runs the more smoke it will blow when restarted. For example, if I just drive around the block and back, nothing! However if I drive say 10 miles or so, it will blow at restart. This condition will completely exaust the oil...

ABS light in Nissan Maxima 92 [ 2 Answers ]

My ABS light came on and stayed on. I shut the car off and then restarted it but the light came back on and stayed on again. Any idea what the problem can be? Thanks queenyogi

View more questions Search