Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bob6831 Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2006, 08:44 AM
    Darn Oxygen Sensor Removal
    Hi.
    Trying to remove a Oxygen Sensor from a 95 Honda Civic.
    Is in a darn bad spot! Have about 6 inches max to maneuver... and cannot get darn thing loose (118,000 miles on car).
    Tried putting a little WD-40 type spray on end of sensor, but just cannot get any leverage, and am also afraid of breaking something.
    Any helpful hints?
    Bob
    P.S. I am using the special socket with opening for the wires, and regular rachet wrench.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2006, 09:06 AM
    Remove heat shield, spray old oxygen sensor with PB Blaster (let it sit for a while), spray with PB Blaster again, warm car up for several minutes, and use a 15 inch breaker bar on the end of the oxygen sensor socket. Afterwards, clean threads thoroughly with brake cleaner, allow it to sit for a while, and install new oxygen sensor.

Nov 28, 2006, 09:29 AM
    Thx,
    I used Sea Foam Deep Creep. Is PB Blaster a whole lot better? If so, will that also work mixing in with gas to clean carburator gum out?
    Bob
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2006, 09:45 AM
    No, PB Blaster won't do that. However, like Kroil, it's a great penetrant.
    badpenny Posts: 73, Reputation: 3

Nov 29, 2006, 09:48 AM
    Or, once you remove the heat shield, You want to get a propane torch ($14-$21 at walmart) and heat the space where the O2 sensor screws into. This will allow some movement due to the expansion of the surrounding metal, and the sealant. Be careful, wear gloves, it gets really hot.

Dec 9, 2006, 07:50 AM
    Just a final reply on this thread... thank you txgreasemonkey (and others) for your help. With the PB Blaster and following your process, the sensor came out fairly easily. Although I tend to be reluctant to buy new parts or tools to do a job, you know your stuff, and it did work!
    Bob
    P.S. I am starting a new thread concerning some problems/questions I have with the new sensor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MAP sensor;Mass Airflow sensor;Volume Air sensor-All Same? [ 8 Answers ]

97 Nissan Pickup - 160,000 miles - KA24E engine -Check engine Soon Light Code reader says volume air sensor. Is this the same as a mass airflow sensor or the MAP sensor? Where is this sensor located, in the throttle body injection? Just threw a new O2 (Bosch)sensor on it, I lost that bet.. it...

1995 Honda Civic Oxygen Sensor [ 14 Answers ]

Hi. Have decided to replace my Oxygen sensor, but am having a problem getting the old sensor out. (I already have the new sensor). Is very tight space. I am thinking that may be best way to break old sensor, then can put socket wrench on and remove the remaining part. Is this a good thing to do?...

Non oxygen life? [ 3 Answers ]

I have read about various creatures that can exist without oxygen, and some do without light either... They seem to live on sulphur in most cases, around volcanic vents in the deep ocean.. Are there others, and how can they do this? Are there other anomalies in the usual patterns of...

View more questions Search