Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AMPIFIED10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2010, 08:29 PM
    Caught in the amps
    I purchased a new Hayward pump this weekend. I wired the pump 230v with 12ga wire. The manufacture recommends a 14 ga wire with a 10 amp double pole circuit breaker. However, I am unable to find a 10 amp breaker (CH210) locally. My fuse box houses Cuttler-Hammer breakers. I purchased and installed a 20 amp breaker (CH220) because it was readily available. I think I can purchase a 10 amp online (not sure). I spoke to the manufacture and pool place and they said the 20 amp is fine but... just wanted to ask to be sure.
    Question: Should I replace the 20 amp with a 10 amp.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2010, 10:55 PM

Replace with a 10 A breaker. e.g. Cutler-Hammer-Westinghouse CH210 Circuit Breaker

This will offer better motor protection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

50 amps vs 100 amps? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently purchased a new mobile home in Ventura, CA. The home was a "lot model" that was originally delivered from the manufacture and set up on a site, used as a model and then taken down and delivered to where I am now. The Manufacture says that it was built to run on 100 amps - it is 60...

Cost to upgrade from 100 amps to 200 amps and ground [ 4 Answers ]

StanFortyMan has made a lot of sense about my needs in a home with a 100 AMP Service.. I would like to upgrade to 200 amps.. with some ground sockets(or whatever this is called) and put in more sockets... The house is 1300 square feet... does anyone have a guestimate of costs?? Thanks, Annie

100 household amps vs 200 amps [ 6 Answers ]

I am living in an "old" house with 100 amps coming in. I am in the process of doing reconstruction and would like to know if I run all new wires and outlets and get rid of dusty broken wires and connection boxes left open to rot---Can I use the same fuses and wiring for 100 as for 200 or do I...

How many amps? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the max rating of a service (electrical to a high rise building?)

Changing from 100 amps to 200 amps [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas water heater (40 gallon tank). I want to change it to an electric tankless water heater. I have read that I need 200 amps in the house to do this, but currently I have only 100 amps. The outside meter is located only about 25 feet away, but the lines are underground. What is...

View more questions Search