Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RKL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2010, 05:00 PM
    Over 65's forced out of employer health insurance.. OK?
    Can a church employer require all church staff over 65 years of age to leave the medical insurance plan for the purpose of reducing the cost of insurance for the younger pool of workers? We're offered cash reimbursement for Plan D drug expenses in exchange.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 1, 2010, 05:15 PM

Insurance is a matter of state law, each state have their own rules, In many companies, it is common for many insurance benefits to have a max age, an example my life insurance stops at age 70 and my disability stops at age 65.
    In my case my health care also stops at 65.

It should be written into the insurance plan rules and regs, normally the company does not have the choice, but the plan itself will only cover to a spectific age.

Also if the person does not sign up and take their medicare, after the enrollment period their benefits will start be to less when they do sign up. So if they wait too long to sign up, they will have a much less policy than if they take it now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Health insurance for diabetic, otherwise in good health [ 5 Answers ]

Next month, I will be landing in Texas as a new immigrant on my Green Card (female aged 55 years - not working). I have diabetese which is well controlled bu insulin and am otherwise in good health. Which companies would provide me a health insurance cover, even if they put a waiting period for the...

Does employer continue to pay insurance while waiting for a COBRA Insurance election? [ 1 Answers ]

When an employee has been terminated from employment, how many days after termination does the employer have to pay the insurance premium on the employee while waiting for the employee to decide on COBRA?

Employer provided health insurance and preexisting conditions [ 3 Answers ]

If an employee with a preexisting condition is terminated and selects to take COBRA coverage until he/she finds a new job, will there a be a problem getting coverage under the new employer's plan due to the preexisting condition?

Foreclosure - Forced Homeowner's Insurance [ 4 Answers ]

I recently tried to provide advice to a lady whose home will be sold at Trustee Sale on August 24, 2007. She is down about 8 months, and the lender placed their own insurance on the property to protect their interest. She has no escrow account and allowed her policy to lapse about 4 months ago. Her...

Health insurance - will current employer cover surgery? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, This question may seem silly, but I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered. I am going to have surgery to repair a torn acl. The surgery is probably going to occur on July 18th. My final day of employment at my current job could be July 27th. I am assuming that my...

View more questions Search