Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aliterry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2010, 04:39 PM
    Cell core pvc vs. pvc schedule 40
    What is the difference between cell core pvc and "regular" pvc schedule 40. I understand that pvc has a foam core and is not completely solid, but when would one need to choose "regular" pvc over cell core?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 1, 2010, 05:59 PM
    Hi Aliterry:

Cell core and regular PVC are considered to be completely interchangeable. Both types can even be used underground.

The biggest difference that I know of is that the cell core PVC is much lighter than regular PVC. Cell core PVC is also much easier to cut... ;)

The weight issue isn't a big deal until you start getting into 20 foot lengths of 4" PVC and larger pipe sizes and then you really can start to appreciate the lighter material!

Finally, the cell core PVC is also a more BRITTLE material in that it has a tendency to crack/shatter if mishandled, especially in colder weather like we have here in my area.

Any more questions on this just let me know... O.K?

MARK
    pengshen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2010, 08:56 PM
    Hi MARK,

I found my answer ! Thanks for your kindness sharing.

Vincent
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 10, 2010, 05:33 AM

Glad if we helped Pengshen. Thanks for posting!

Mark
    smangoli Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2012, 06:06 AM
    Hi,
    What I have been told is that the Cell core is more susceptible to breaking when you are trying to use a snake with sharp edges to remove a clog.
    This is because the cell core is soft and can't withstand sharp edges and impacts from inside.
    Sanjeev
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 4, 2012, 06:55 AM
    Hi Sanjeev and welcome to The Plumbing Page at AskMeHelpDesk.com. You're re responding to a 2 year old dead threa
    If the future please check the date before you post. Thanks.
    Your post is a little confusing. On the one hand you say,
    What I have been told is that the Cell core is more susceptible to breaking when you are trying to use a snake with sharp edges to remove a clog.
    And then you tell us that,
    This is because the cell core is soft and can't withstand sharp edges and impacts from inside.
    I believe you were right the first time. Good luck, Tom
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 5, 2012, 07:36 PM
    Yeah, disagree with Sanjeev... ;)

Cellcore PVC is more brittle as I mentioned in my previous posts, but cellcore PVC or regular PVC does fine when it comes to snaking a drain line... absolutley NO DIFFERENCES here... I assure you!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pvc schedule 40 & 80 [ 3 Answers ]

What is schedule 40 and 80 in pvc products and what's the difference between these two schedules. Kindly explain:confused:

What schedule of pvc do we use for services risers? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am looking for a few answers I can't seem 2 find in nfpa70, pleez help.

Replace sch 40 pvc to cast iron saddle 4 in pvc pipe broke [ 4 Answers ]

Replace sch 40 pvc into cast iron saddle with lead pvc pipe broke off even with lead packing what is the easiest way to remove pvc and lead to replace it

Crush strength of schedule 40 pvc pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I'm planning on using 4" pvc schedule 40 pipe for a waste line which will be located approx 24" under our driveway. On occasion we have very heavy triaxle trucks using the drive way. Am I okay with the schedule 40 pvc for it's strenght not to crush from the weight of the trucks? Some folks...

What's the difference between schedule 40 and 80 PVC? [ 1 Answers ]

What's the difference between schedule 40 and 80 PVC?

View more questions Search