A wire nut, then use the pigtail to go to the switches, which kept all the
    Ground wires long. I always use the highest cubic inch capacity so
    That there would be plenty of room.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2010, 10:59 PM

Metal box?

See: IDEAL INDUSTRIES, INC. - Grounding

Use a 3 wire combo tail for the switches screwed into the metal box orr three separate stranded grounding screw to fork terminal grounding pigtails.

And a green term-a nut to fork terminal to terminate the 6 grounds to the box itself.

Plastic box

Three stranded wire to fork terminals to wires to the 6 ground wires with a wirenut.
    abcsalem Posts: 70, Reputation: 2

Mar 1, 2010, 10:23 AM
    Thanks for the reply.

Mar 1, 2010, 10:23 AM
    I looked at the link and I understood the method you are describing for the metal box. I am using the plastic box. Did I understand you correctly that, you are suggesting to use 3 stranded wires, one for each switch, and then connect the 3 strand and 6 solid copper wires (9 total) to a wirenut? That would require a big wire nut (I have them) which may be hard to fit in the plastic box. The regular size wirenut can only have up to (5) #12 solid wires. I am using #12 solid wires.
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2010, 10:57 AM

Romex?

Anyway, there isn't fundamental reason why all of the grounds have to be connected together in the plastic box.

Just take the related grounds to the switch and use the term-a-nut method (3) and connect to each switch with the fork terminal.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2010, 11:32 AM
    All equipment grounding conductors need to be connected together, and one can be left longer, or use a pigtail, to connect to the green grounding screws on each switch.

This is required to insure continuous connection of equipment grounding to each cable.

Mar 1, 2010, 11:46 AM
    Thanks tkrussell,
    I'll connect all the grounds together either with a pigtail, or a copper ring.
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2010, 12:11 PM

TK brings up a valid point which I saitisfy. Whether the inspector considers it OK is another matter.

The Romex is protected because the grounds would make it to the electrical box at one point. The switch is protected because it get's the ground screw. The box is double insulated, so it's protected.

If a metal plate is used, then it bridges all of the grounds, and the plate gets grounded. Loops in grounds are best to be avoided and independent grounds to the panel with an isolated plate is the best way to accomplish this.

The independent signal and protective grounds is routinely used in hospitals (orange outlets). In fact, there may actually be two independent busses in the panel.

Will it get flagged. Don't know.
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2010, 12:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post

If a metal plate is used, then it bridges all of the grounds, and the plate gets grounded. Loops in grounds are best to be avoided and independent grounds to the panel with an isolated plate is the best way to accomplish this.

The independent signal and protective grounds is routinely used in hospitals (orange outlets). In fact, there may actually be two independent busses in the panel.

Will it get flagged. Don't know.

What metal plate are you referring to?

Why even mention Isolated Grounding? It is irevelvant in home, and most of commercial and industrial wiring, hardly used even in datacenters.

NCR still requires IG for their equipment, only issue is they don't realize what is needed to be done for a true IG.
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2010, 12:51 PM

The eustecheon plate (cover plate) can be metal, plastic or wood. It's typically plastic these days.
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2010, 02:01 PM
    Oh I see what you mean by "If a metal plate is used, then it bridges all of the grounds, and the plate gets grounded.".

Sorry, that is not allowed, each device needs a ground wire.

Plates are often painted, get loose, and are not UL Listed to be used as a grounding or bonding jumper.
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2010, 02:50 PM

Yep, each device needs a ground wire. I don't disagree.

Each device in the plastic box get's it's own ground and it's BEST to keep the related grounds the same. Ground to switch #1 goes to poles of switch #1.

Grounds of switch #2 goes to poles of switch #2. etc.

Plastic box: No grounds required to the box.

Nice and neat, just connect the Romex ground to the related switch ground terminals. There is no need to connect all of the Romex grounds in the box to themselves. Each switch is grounded.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2010, 03:41 PM

Maybe useless info, but you can have 2 groups of grounds connected by a ground jumper to fit in two wirenuts.
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2010, 06:28 AM
    You would be the first to consider this:

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    it's BEST to keep the related grounds the same. Ground to switch #1 goes to poles of switch #1.
    The first thing done to splice a switch box, or any box for that matter, is all equipment grounds are gathered, formed, and twisted to fit in the back of a box. A mechanical connector is applied, and often, if a barrel crimp or a Greenie wire nut is used, one wire is left long enough to connect to each ground screw on each device.

Equipment grounds are all common, and I have not met an electrician yet that will worry which EGC from which cable must connect to it's respective device.

An experienced electrician that has learned the hand motions and technique of splicing can do a box is a few minutes. There is no reason at all to do do as you suggested.
    Attached Images

Mar 3, 2010, 07:49 AM
    tkrussell, a question about the attached picture: Picture shows one long ground wire in the front laying down on the bottom side of the plastic switch box. This box looks like was for three switches. Can you discuss how this one long wire gets attached to three switches. I can fill in the blanks, but I rather let the pro explain it.
    My goal is for the neatest solution (and avoiding putting 6-9 wires in a wirenut) I can find that would be NEC and local codes compliant.
    Thanks
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2010, 07:54 AM

Abc, If I was to guess, I would think he is going to use that 1 wire to connect to the switches, in series. This would count as 1 wire, not 3.
    You can still use 2 groups of grounds and have a jumper between both wirenuts.
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2010, 08:30 AM

Wiring the grounds of each switchloop romex to the individual switches does not seem to violate article 250.148

Particularly

Quote Originally Posted by 2008 NEC
    (250.148d) Nonmetalic boxes: One or more equipment grounding conductors brought into a a nonmetalic box shall be arranged such that a connection CAN be made to any fitting or device in the box requiring grounding.
    It does NOT say that all of the grounds must be connected together.

EDIT:
    Ground integrity is maintained and each device in the box is grounded per NEC using the one cable per switch method where the ground and the swich loop is connected to each switch respectively without a cross ground connection to any other switch.

It does not seem to violate the NEC 2008.

People are just applying the metal box technology to plastic boxes without re-education.

Furthermore, the combining of grounds creates ground loops. From an engineering point of view, not combining makes sense. I believe the NEC agrees, and the OP should site 240.148d as to why it was done that way if questioned.
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2010, 03:18 PM
    Kiss, please read the beginning of Section 250.148:

Continuity and Attachment of Equipment Grounding Conductors to Boxes.

Where circuit conductors are spliced within a box, or terminated on equipment within or supported by a box, any equipment grounding conductors(s) associated with those circuit conductors shall be connected within the box or to the box with devices suitable for the use in accordance with 250.148(A) through (E).

That is Code-ese for all bare wires get connected together in a box.

The line item (D) you highlighted states that each switch must have a separate connection to those grounding conductors, satisfied by the long wire ready to be connected to the green screw on each switch.

Without cutting, a loop is made in the wire and hooked onto the green screw, with just the right amount of jumper wire between each connection, and the end scrap is cut off.

This is one technique I mentioned that is learned during on the job training.

If you have 6 cables coming into a box, all 6 must be spliced, and one connection shall be arranged for each switch, and it said "one or more".

Sure you can have 9 wires and a huge wirenut, but my method is what makes the Greenies wirenut, with one hole at the top of the wirenut, for one wire to be long enough to loop from device to device, so popular.
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2010, 06:59 PM

I asked the question in Mike Holt's forum: 3 gang plastic box ground clarification - Mike Holt's Forum

It's getting interesting.

Mar 3, 2010, 07:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    Sure you can have 9 wires and a huge wirenut, but my method is what makes the Greenies wirenut, with one hole at the top of the wirenut, for one wire to be long enough to loop from device to device, so popular.
    tkrussell, I created a drawing from what you've explained, above.
    Does my drawing reflects what you are trying to tell us?

Thanks
    Abc
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 fans 2 switches and 12 wires coming from ceiling [ 4 Answers ]

Thought this'd be easy, but…I could really use some help, before I burn down our new home. We just got a new home & my wife wanted ceiling fans with lights. The fans have a green ground wire, a black (fan), a white, and a striped black (light) wire. I have removed the 2 covers in the ceiling....

Finding wires/switches for outdoor lighting fixtures [ 6 Answers ]

I have these two outdoor lights on the front of my trailer, they didn't work so I put in new fixtures and they still don't work, I was wondering if there was any way to trace the wires to a switch that I might not be finding or to figure out where they go and why they are not working, I have tried...

Connecting ground wires on ceiling fans [ 2 Answers ]

I am attempting to install a ceiling fan. I have a question about attaching the ground wires. There are three ceiling wires (red, white and black). There is a green wire coming from the ceiling bracket and one from the downrod. Where do I attach the ground wires? Amateur installer

Connecting the right wires [ 4 Answers ]

I'm updating my thermostat and the one that I had is a ritetemp 8010 but the new digital thermostatRTH3100C wiring is not matching up This is the old setup! W-white Y-yellow G-green O-orange C-blue RC-red W2-brown There is also a jump wire that was with the red one and it is RH

Connecting 3 dimmer switches on one circuit [ 2 Answers ]

In my basement I have three separate single pole light switches that control the recessed lighting. These separate switches were all next to each other and somehow were interlinked with one another. I've moved these switches to one wall and put them in a three gang box, so I can control the...

View more questions Search