Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EmoPrincess Posts: 1,068, Reputation: 92
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2010, 05:46 PM
    How likely is a human bite to become infected?
    My friend bit me past the skin on the shoulder about five hours ago and it is still swollen. Is this likely to become infected?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 28, 2010, 06:21 PM

Yes it may be possible as with any bite.
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2010, 06:24 PM

But how likely?

What should I use to treat the bite?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2010, 10:04 PM
    Hi, xXxEmOxXxPrInCeSsxXx!

Washing it with warm water and clean soap would be a good start. Then rinsing to make sure all the soap is gone. Dry with a clean towel and apply an atibiotic oitment then the appropriate sized bandage.

If there's any sign of infection, then it would be best to see a physician.

Is it bleeding? Why did your friend bite you, please?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2010, 10:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, xXxEmOxXxPrInCeSsxXx!

Washing it with warm water and clean soap would be a good start. Then rinsing to make sure all the soap is gone. Dry with a clean towel and apply an atibiotic oitment then the appropriate sized bandage.

If there's any sign of infection, then it would be best to see a physician.

Is it bleeding? Why did your friend bite you, please?

Thanks!
    I used some sea salt solution. Is that all right?

I'll try some antibiotic ointment.

It stopped bleeding only a few hours ago. He bit me because I bit him first, during an immature pseudo-argument. (He was laughing about my tourettes, I sound like a puppy getting stepped on, and I threatened to bite him, jokingly, if he continued laughing. He laughed harder and I bit him, then he claimed it was his turn and bit me back) Biting each other is not uncommon for us. Just usually not this deep.
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2010, 10:23 PM
    The important thing is that the wound be cleaned and have an antibiotic placed on it.

I know that sea salt has been used on wounds for hundreds if not thousands of years. However, I can't verify the value of using it. Such an evaluation would need to be made by a physician.

What kind of antibiotics do you have, please?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2010, 10:26 PM
    The important thing is that the wound be cleaned and have an antibiotic placed on it.

I know that sea salt has been used on wounds for hundreds if not thousands of years. However, I can't verify the value of using it. Such an evaluation would need to be made by a physician.

What kind of antibiotics do you have, please?

Thanks!
    I just checked the cabinet, we haven't any left. There is no signs of infection so far. Should I just cover it and hope for the best and keep an eye on it?
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2010, 10:32 PM
    Please make sure that you wash it, dry it and cover it with something sterile and clean.

How large is the wound, please?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2010, 10:35 PM
    Please make sure that you wash it, dry it and cover it with something sterile and clean.

How large is the wound, please?

Thanks!
    I just washed, dried, and sterilized it.

It's about 2.5 by 2 inches and a few milimeters deep
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2010, 10:39 PM

Neosporin ointment, Triple anti-B or and/or rinse with Hydrogen peroxide.
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2010, 10:40 PM
    That's a fairly large area. Are all of the holes that deep?
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2010, 10:42 PM
    A large area has the skin completely scraped off, there are a few holes though. His incisors.

It isn't as sore anymore and has started to become more bruised than swollen
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2010, 10:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Neosporin ointment, Triple anti-B or and/or rinse with Hydrogen peroxide.
    The Hydrogen Peroxide came to my mind initially, K.I.S.S. However, I found the following about it.

From the following site: The Many Uses of Hydrogen Peroxide-Truth! Fiction! & Unproven!

For many of us, hydrogen peroxide was one of the first things we put on a cut or a wound, but that is less recommended nowadays. The reason, according to numerous medical sites, is that there is a downside to the hydrogen peroxide as well. It also damages healthy cells that are needed for the wounds to heal and hinders them from getting to the area where the healing needs to take place. The HealthFinder publication of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services says don't use hydrogen peroxide on a wound because it interferes with healing. The U.S. Gymnastics team has followed the recommendations of researchers and uses soap and water for cleansing wounds and not hydrogen peroxide. The National Safety Council's First Aid Pocket Guide (1996) says "DO NOT use hydrogen peroxide It does not kill bacteria, and it adversely affects capillary blood flow and wound healing." The Mayo Clinic gives the same advice.
    I have no clue as to how authoritative what I quoted is.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2010, 10:49 PM
    Originally Posted by Clough
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxEmOxXxPrInCeSsxXx View Post
    A large area has the skin completely scraped off, there are a few holes though. His incisors.

It isn't as sore anymore and has started to become more bruised than swollen
    Well, bruising would be normal. But, if there's any sign of infection, like swelling and/or unsusual discharge of a fluid, then it would be best for you to see a physician.
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2010, 10:53 PM

All right

And I avoid Peroixide because my piercer told me it can cause chemical burns inside my flesh
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2010, 11:02 PM
    You've cleaned and dried it. Correct?

What all have you now put on it?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2010, 11:06 PM

You are right, that we grew up on Hydrogen Peroxide and we used to pour it on wounds.

Soap and water is always good. Water is good too. Neosporin is a good choice after washing providing your not alergic to it.

Hydrogen Peroxide works well to remove dried blood on clothes and skin and anywhere else.
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2010, 11:16 PM
    Like you, I grew up using Hydrogen Peroxide, K.I.S.S. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Human Biology- Human eyes changing color? [ 23 Answers ]

Can human eyes change color, or is it just different types of light reflecting in their eyes? I am dating someone whose eyes are sometimes very blue, but sometimes green. I also have a friend whose eyes change from brown to green.

Does the belly piercing necessarily need to look infected to be infected? [ 9 Answers ]

Does it? Mine doesn't hurt and people say it doesn't look infected at all. But I'm scared help

Movie vampire falls in love with a human and eats and drink human food to become human [ 1 Answers ]

Movie about a vampire who falls in love with a human woman and tries to become human by eating and drinking human food

Is it infected? [ 7 Answers ]

I got my belly button pierced about a week ago. It is red around the top bead. It is not bleeding and there isn't any puss coming out. Is it starting to get infected or is it just healing?

I think my bite is off [ 1 Answers ]

I just resently had an upper and lower partial plate and I think my bite could be off I;m having headaches and not feeling real well How would I know if my bite is off Thanks Anne

View more questions Search