Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandswill Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2010, 11:05 AM
    What type of wire do I use to connect an existing light to 2 new lights in my ceiling
    I want to add 2 new lights to an existing light in my kitchen ceiling. What kind of wire do I use and how do I connect them? Hook black to black, white to white?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2010, 11:59 AM

NM-B or what's called Romex. Use the same wire gauge as the existing wire which will be 12/2 or 14/2. Ground is automatically assumed.

Depending on where you splice in, you will be connecting at the black and white from an existing light. Use a wirenut appropriate for the number of wires and the wire gage.

The ground needs to go the fixture and the metal box if used.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring a three wire light to existing four wires [ 22 Answers ]

Just bought a foreclosed home where a lot of the lights were taken by the previous owner. I am trying to put a light over my kitchen table. I bought a light w/ the usual two wires plus ground, but the existing wiring from the previous/removed light has a black, white, ground, red and another...

How do I connect two wires from the ceiling to a three wire fixture [ 1 Answers ]

In UK Black & Red feeds from the ceoiling rose. I am installing a new fixture which has three transparent sheaths and one earth, Fixture cables one appears blue one other brown and one seems to be bi-coloured white & blue. I have tried different options and can get a trip or am left with the...

Adding lights to existing exterior light circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I have a light fixture that is flush mounted in the ceiling of an exterior porch, I would like to add two more twin bulb floodlights switched by the existing switch if this is okay to do. If so can I run wiring from the current fixture through conduit along the undersides of the eaves, and if so...

Fan Install of Existing ceiling lights [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a switch that controls 2 lights in my living room, I would like to install a fan between the lights. Is there any way that I can tap juice off those lights without running another wire to an individual switch. The fan is remote controlled. My fear is that I obviously can't turn...

How to wire an additional light to an existing 3-way light switch [ 5 Answers ]

I am in the process of finishing my basement, and the light at the top of the stairs is connected to a light switch at the top and bottom of the stairwell. I would like to add another light to this configuration at the bottom of the stairs. From what I can see, the power runs into the light...

View more questions Search