Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kinser6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2010, 08:22 PM
    How to prove your 18 year old daughter is unfit to be a mother
    Does anyone know what you do when you have a 18 year old daughter who won't work has no ged or diploma has managed to get pregnant and the father is nowhere to be found. She has court coming up for car theft and is looking at a class d and maybe a class b felony. She has been diagnosed with bipolar mania and will not take meds. I would prefer to take this child from birth and raise it even though I'm still raising two children. I have tried to help her get her life together but she will not even try. She has no home of her own and is staying from place to place. How hard would it be for me to take the child from her?
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Feb 27, 2010, 09:52 PM

The definition of an unfit parent is governed by state laws, which vary by state. A parent may be deemed unfit if they have been abusive, neglected, or failed to provide proper care for the child. A parent with a mental disturbance or addiction to drugs or alcohol may also be found to be an unfit parent.
    For example, one state declares the power of the juvenile court to terminate the rights of a natural parent (a) who was "unfit or incompetent by reason of conduct or condition seriously detrimental to the child," (b) who "abandoned the child," or (c) who "substantially and continuously or repeatedly refused or failed to give the child proper parental care and protection."
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 27, 2010, 10:21 PM

You will have to hire an attorney and do this as soon as the child is born, you will need to have doctors testify that she is a danger to herself and the child, and/or prove she will be in prison for a length of time.

Her education and the father has no bearning on it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my 12 year old son be my witness in court to prove my daughters father unfit [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 2 month old and a 20 month old , their father has not lived with me for longer than 1 month in a stretch of 4 years. I got enough strenth to get him away from my home for good, due to his very abusive behavior. He kept me very iscolated from friends and family, so no one ever seen the...

How can I prove she is unfit [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I am wanting to adopt my cousin's daughter. She has 3 other kids and I don't think she is a fit mother. How can I prove she is unfit?

How do we prove a mother is unfit? [ 5 Answers ]

My fiancé has a 1 year old little boy with his ex-girlfriend and she is a horrible mother. They agreed on a custody agreement outside of court and then filed it with family court after they went to the first mediation. At the first mediation, the mediator set up a visitation schedule for the father...

Can she prove me unfit? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 6 year old daughter and when she was 1 I signed temp custody to my parents so she could have the best insurance coverage so I wouldn't have to have her on a medical card. Now I have a great job with great medical coverage and my mom won't sign custody back. What do I do about getting...

Do we have to prove the mother unfit? [ 11 Answers ]

My husband and I have temp. custody of his 3 y/o son that he had from a relationship, (they were never married), pending the return of the mother in November from Afghanistan. The mother has gone overseas doing contract work for the government, but not in the military. She had a good job before...

View more questions Search