Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mlsread Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2010, 05:33 PM
    How to attach the 3
    How do I attach the 3"x1" piece of leg I cut off from the 6" of leg that remain attached to the sofa. (some legs don't unscrew)
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2010, 05:36 PM

Not sure what your doing? Can you post a picture?

Feb 27, 2010, 07:13 PM

Will do. May be awhile.

Feb 27, 2010, 07:52 PM
    Here is the situation
    Attached Images

Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2010, 07:59 PM
    Hi, mlsread!

Were the legs made to be cut off the way that they are for the original assembly of the couch, please?

Thanks!
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Feb 27, 2010, 08:31 PM

OK, so you're trying to raise the couch up 3in and are attaching a sort of stilts?

Why not just use a couple screws? Get some 4-6in screws and just put two through the bottom of the stilt. Make sure you sink them as flush to the wood as possible to prevent scratching or snagging the floor. You could also glue a piece of felt, or a rubber stopper thingy, to the bottom to make sure your floors don't get damaged.

Feb 27, 2010, 09:06 PM

Yeh, I am reattaching the pieces I cut off legs.

Your suggestion sounds so easy. I don't know why I don't think of this stuff. So let me clarify and ask a question. Now the width of the leg is only 1". You see in the pic the white floor glide at the bottom of the "stilt"? I would screw in a very thin wood screw on either side of the glide, through 3 inches of the stilt and through another 3 inches of the original leg?
    Experts

Feb 27, 2010, 09:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mlsread View Post
    Yeh, I am reattaching the pieces I cut off of legs.

Your suggestion sounds so easy. I don't know why I don't think of this stuff. So let me clarify and ask a question. Now the width of the leg is only 1". You see in the pic the white floor glide at the bottom of the "stilt"? I would screw in a very thin wood screw on either side of the glide, through 3 inches of the stilt and through another 3 inches of the original leg?
    Pretty much.

If you go with a shorter screw, around 4 inches, it'll still be sturdy and they'll be less chance that you get the angle a little off and end up with the screw poking through the side of the leg.

If you glue them on with wood glue first, they'll hold steady without you having to brace them. That'll let you better control where the screws go by giving you both hands to work with.

Feb 28, 2010, 12:01 AM

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! See you next time.

By the way Where is this forum? I notice the posting are not on EST.
    Thanks again.
    Experts

Feb 28, 2010, 12:18 AM

I have no idea where the servers are based. I thought the time stamp changed depending on what time zone you were in. they've always been in EST for me.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2010, 02:35 AM

mlsread, you may want to use thin pieces of wood as strapping to support the joint. Depending on if the couch skirting hides it or not, I'd strap it on all four side for strength, and don't forget the good wood glue. Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Attach SS [ 2 Answers ]

If a collection agency gets a judgement against me can the attach my SS...

Attach laminated beams [ 3 Answers ]

how to attach a laminated beam to 6x8 wood post column.

What can they attach [ 1 Answers ]

When a judgement is made against me in the state of N.C. do I have a right to keep my car and my house? The debt is for a credit card for about 16000. Will they most likely lean my house? I just need to buy some time.. but I need my truck for work..

How to attach a picture... [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to attach a picture for my answer on the lawn and garden forum, but it says that my picture is 1.83MB and it can only fit a 293Kb or something. How can I make my picture smaller? Please help.. :(

View more questions Search