Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    margog85 Posts: 241, Reputation: 19

Feb 27, 2010, 04:42 PM
    Using Gel Stain Over Paint
    The staircase in my 100+ year old home is in need of some sort of refinishing. The steps themselves appear to be some sort of wood (I was told by a contractor doing other work in my house that they were pine), and have been painted, and then were covered with carpeting. We pulled up the carpeting, and want to make the stairs look nice w/minimal work and minimal expense... without having to recarpet. A friend suggested gel stain over the paint that's already there... this sounds like a really great idea, and like it'd give us exactly the look we want. I would like to know:
    1) How easy is it to do this?
    2) What kind of prep is involved?
    3) Anyone have any before & after pictures of similar projects? (Not necessarily stairs, but anything with gel stain over paint)
    Thanks!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2010, 04:49 PM
    Hi, margog85!

Are you meaning to put a gel stain directly on the painted surface?

Thanks!

Feb 27, 2010, 04:51 PM

Yes, if that's possible. They're painted a dark brown right now. The paint definitely shows wear, but covers most of the stairs. I've also read on some websites that you should go over it w/a primer coat first? Or some kind of sealant... not sure exactly how it should be done... But yes, they are currently painted brown and I'd like to know how it'd look just going over that, if possible.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2010, 04:59 PM
    Without knowing the type of paint that's on them, it's difficult to advise. I'm not that familiar with gel coatings, but it would seem that using a polyurethane would be smoother and more durable.

Are you not wanting to change the stairs back to a natural wood finish?

Thanks!
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2010, 05:07 PM

Chances are you have some beautiful wood underneath all that paint.

Why not have something real, and real pretty to show off?

Feb 27, 2010, 05:18 PM

I was told by a contractor that because they were pine, that it'd be a waste to try to get the paint off- that the stairs would need a lot of sanding, and that it'd weaken them too much. Is that not true?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 27, 2010, 06:54 PM

Not true, they won't weaken significantly from sanding. You could use a paste or liquid stripper and sand even less. I would not apply a gel stain on top of old paint even with a primer.
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2010, 07:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by margog85 View Post
    I was told by a contractor that because they were pine, that it'd be a waste to try to get the paint off- that the stairs would need a lot of sanding, and that it'd weaken them too much. Is that not true?
    It sounds like to me like that contractor is trying to get out of some work, and get paid for making a nasty looking mess.

100 year old pine, or ANY kind of wood. Is going to be pretty if refinished properly. Right Ballenger?

Feb 27, 2010, 07:08 PM

Yep, wood is wood, all species can be beautiful if prep is done. Nothing better in my mind than stained and poly stair treads. Paint the risers a light color or even white if you want but try for stained treads
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2010, 07:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Yep, wood is wood, all species can be beautiful if prep is done. Nothing better in my mind than stained and poly stair treads. Paint the risers a light color or even white if you want but try for stained treads
    I agree. I would be buying a large can of stripper, and be dying to see what treasure lies beneath that old paint.

I know all to well the work involved, but it is definitely worth the sweat.

Feb 27, 2010, 09:06 PM

Well, I planned on doing it myself, not having the contractor do it. Would I need to purchase a sander? Or could I strip the paint and just sand it by hand?

Feb 28, 2010, 08:08 PM

An electric sander would speed things along considering you'd be sanding about 13 steps. Do not buy a belt sander for this project a nice 1/4 sheet oscillating sander would do the trick

Mar 1, 2010, 07:03 AM

Ok, so just to be sure I'm doing this right, this is the plan. Let me know if this would work:
    -Use paint stripper to remove as many layers as possible
    -Sand with hand sander (still need to purchase- any suggestions?)
    -Apply gel stain
    -Apply poly finish
    I've also read about using a heat gun, and was thinking of purchasing one. Is it worth it? If so, what kind should I get?
    Also, I'm not sure about how to handle the handrail, posts, etc. Is that all done just about the same way? If I plan on painting part of that (not staining) is it necessary to use the paint stripper? Or can I just sand it slightly and re-paint?
    Thanks again for your help!
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2010, 08:03 AM

Try this site, and others like it. How to Strip Paint Off a Wood Floor | eHow.com

Be sure to use safety glasses and gloves. Ventilate the area, watch for fumes, especially with a heat gun.

Get help from family and friends.

I personally would use liquid stain. Of the best quality.

Take before and after pictures, and please post them here.

Good luck to you. It's going to be beautiful when you are done.

Mar 1, 2010, 07:37 PM

Everything looks good but "Apply gel stain" I'd remove the word gel. Why are you using gel, it is not as forgiving as liquid stain.

Mar 1, 2010, 11:41 PM

I heard gel stain was better for wood that is older and might look blotchy with regular stain. Is this not true?
    Also, I purchased a heat gun today. Should I use that before or after the paint stripper?
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Mar 3, 2010, 07:46 AM
    What about a faux finish to look like wood?
    Faux Mahogany Woodgraining
    Faux Painting Techniques and  Faux Finishes: How To
    I did this technique on a concrete floor.

Name:  IMG_0834.jpg
Views: 24016
Size:  59.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0003.jpg
Views: 9621
Size:  61.0 KB

Mar 3, 2010, 04:07 PM
    Really nice! How is that done? That would be perfect. Just what I'm looking for.

Mar 3, 2010, 04:08 PM

Never mind you put links in there. Duhhhhh. Thanks!
    black420magic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2011, 04:06 PM
    To be very honest margog85, I would go with the gel stain over paint..

I too, have a 100 plus year old house.

The previous owners, did the same thing, painted the staircase brown and put carpet runner.

I ripped up the carpet runner, and tried the heat gun ( what a mess) bought stripper ( what a mess)

So I finally got fed up and scraped it and got as much as old look from steps.

I am going to paint the risers ( white ) and apply the ebony gel stain on the steps.. and call it a day..

You will lose your mind using the strippers and heat gun and scraping 14 steps..

I hope you have an entire weekend to dedicate to this, because its going to take that long if you were to strip this entirely down to bare wood..

Do not listen to these other people talking about wood is wood.

Remember it's a home, you want to make it nice and up to par, but the second you miss a mortgage payment it then becomes some else's home.. All that hard work you have then put in to something like staircases becomes someone else treasure.

Do what you can an move on..

Make your home a home and enjoy it with family and friends..

These experts are full of BS..

GOOD luck..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

55H+ cristalline with hot movate gel and neoprosone gel [ 100 Answers ]

I just ordered some 55h+ cristalline glycerin and some hot movate gel and neoprposone gel. I plan to mix all the ingredients together and use on my body 2x daily. On my face, I will use clearqucik gel mixed with the exclusive fair and white whitenizer gel crème and the serum and some black soap on...

Paint over stain [ 5 Answers ]

I'm re-painting the exterior of our home. Last paint application appears to be paint on the gable ends and dark brown stain on the lap siding. After all the necessary prep work and cleaning do I need to primer over the old stain if I want to apply a latex paint?

Best paint or stain to use for garage floor? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm not looking for epoxy ideas here. I just want to know if someone can recommend a concrete paint specifically for garage flooring. Also maybe the best way to prep the floor. I'm planning on using a power washer. Ideas? Thank you.

Paint or stain 18 year old pressure treated deck [ 4 Answers ]

My summer home is on a lake in northern Michigan. We have hot summers and cold and deep snow in the winter, this is very hard on my deck. I have used a number of products to stain/seal the deck but the older is gets the harder it is to keep a nice look to the wood. I am considering paint or a...

Refinishing an Outside Bench - Stain / Paint ?'s [ 3 Answers ]

I'm refinishing a bench that we bought from home depot about 5 years ago. The wood planks and inserts have begun to peel from weather and time. I've disassembled it, sanded it all down, and am ready to stain or paint it. Any suggestions on what to put on it that will last and stand up to the...

View more questions Search