Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chelvenk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2010, 01:39 PM
    Dual status return non resident single and resident married filing
    I was on F1-OPT till oct-2009 (exempt) and hence was considered non resident for tax purposes. I moved to H1B and am currently employed under this visa. Since I spent > 183 days in the US I am a resident for tax purposes from oct-dec 2009. I think I should file dual status tax return for this tax year, with NR for jan-sep and Resident from oct-dec. The confusion is because I got married in November and my wife is on H4 with me from December. I read that I cannot file dual status return "filing jointly". I can either file I) to be considered as a resident for the whole year and "file jointly". In this case I get the standard deduction of 11,500. But I am worried about the social security taxes that were deducted, as they were not deducted for the period from jan-sep as I was exempt.
    ii) is it possible to file dual status return, where I say I am single and non resident from jan-sep and from oct-dec I am resident and married and file jointly.
    I am confused any guidance would be welcome.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 1, 2010, 11:52 PM

Choice 1: You can file non-resident tax return.

Choice 2: You can file resident tax return as Married Filing Jointly. You will have to wait for 5 months to file your tax return till you meet the Substantial Presence Test in 2010. Your U.S. Tax Return: Substantial Presence Test

You will get standard deduction of $11,400 and exemptions ($3,650 each) for both of you.

You must both declare your worldwide income for 2009. If you have any foreign income, and on that income you paid taxes in the foreign country, then you can claim foreign tax credit (Form 1116) or you can use Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (Form 2555). Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

You will complete forms W7 (application for ITIN) for your spouse and attach with your tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is advantage of "first year choice" for dual-status resident(single NOT married) [ 1 Answers ]

Consider the following: 1. Person was a USA dual status resident as of end of Dec 30, 2008 (resident alien for just 1 day, Dec 31, 2008 per Substantial Presence Test) 2. As of today (Feb 20, 2009) this SINGLE person (still in the US) is eligible to "make first year choice" since he/she meets the...

Dual Status Married Filing Jointly? Or Treaty-Based Single Non-Resident Alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I worked in the US for a US company in 2006 (TN visa) for 1.5 months and filed a non-resident alien return as a single person. I worked in 2007 in the US until the end of August (still on TN visa), then returned home to Canada and worked for a Canadian employer for the rest of the year. I had a...

Dual status return - last year non-resident [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have browsed this forum and got great information. Thanks. I had a few quick questions before I finalize my dual status return: Situation: Indian Citizen. Filed 1040NR on F1 visa from 2002 to 2004 Filed 1040 on H1B visa from 2005 to 2006 Remained on H1B until Sep 30, 2007 and then...

Non-resident married to a non-resident: filing status [ 6 Answers ]

I am on H1b and does not pass significant presence test in 2007. My wife lives in home country and had been in the US for less than 30 days in 2007. I think I will need to file 1040nr. Am I single or married? I noticed that on w-4, there was a line saying" if you are married to a non-resident...

Dual Status resident filing [ 1 Answers ]

I arrived in United States in March 2006 on H1B and my wife joined me in October 2006 as H4. I am aware that I am a non resident until March and then became resident alien for the remaining year. Since my wife joined me in October she is a non resident alien and can I claim her on my taxes as an...

View more questions Search