Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maintech Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2006, 07:43 PM
    GMC Gas Furnace Fan Won't Run
    Hi,

I have a friend with a GMC gas furnace that will not start. We are receiving a three blinking LED code that says pressure switch failed to close. We found this switch on the main air fan and discovered the fan will not run in auto or manual. We checked for 120 VAC output on the circuit board and found nothing on any of the speed terminals. Suspect a control relay on the circuit board.

Is there something we are missing?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2006, 09:59 PM
    The pressure switch has a vacuum hose that goes to the draft inducer blower motor. If this little fan starts you have to check inducer, vent, chimney, vacuum hose, and vacuum ports for obstructions. If the motor doesn't start and has 120 volts it is probably bad or somethink got stuck in it.
    maintech Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2006, 02:49 AM
    The small ventilation fan does run and I do recall a vacuum hose that goes to a small black box, don't recall where the other end went.

I understand the sequence of events now, thermostat says I'am cold.
    Small ventilation fan comes on.
    Small black box with vacuum hose (pressure switch) says ventilation fan is running.
    Burner lights.
    Flame detected and preset temp made.
    Main air duct blower should then come on.

Does the small ventilation fan have a filter that needs cleaning?
    Is the small box with the vacuum hose the pressure switch?

Sounds like a cracked or blocked vacuum hose, dirty air in filter or stuck pressure switch.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2006, 05:53 AM
    Yes the small box with the vacuum hose is the pressure switch. There is no filter for the induced draft blower motor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas furnace [ 2 Answers ]

For the past 2 nights my furnace has been blowing out cold air. I have a furnace which is equipped with an ignition device which automatically lights the piolet. I did everything from cutting off the gas valve and power to furnace. When I restarted everything back up, the furnace came on but no air...

Gas furnace fan turns on but nothing comes out [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn on my gas furnace, the pilot light comes on, but goes off afer a couple of minutes after having produced nothing. When I turn on the manual fan, it starts up, but no air comes out. Any ideas? Thanks

98 GMC won't start, not getting gas [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1998 gmc 4x4 5.7 at. Its been getting harder & harder to start, but went it started it would run great and restart that day. Today it didn't start, so the fuel pump is making nois so that is working, put a new fuel filter on, no help, so I put some gas in the throttle body and it started...

How to make fan run auto [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have been trying to browse the website, trying to find out how to wire my t-stat so that it will run on auto.. I have 24v transformer, red, and white, and I connected it to the back of my t-stat, the fan turns on only when it turn the t-stat switch to heat no auto or on function. however...

Gas furnace [ 14 Answers ]

Igot a 1972 carrer furnace it catches fire at the spud part of burner I got 11.5 inch watter column preasure on line you can cut it off turn it back on and it burns good blaze looks good I need some comet on air ajustment or what might be causing this I have cleaned the burners , thanks.

View more questions Search