Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    svyas1911 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2010, 07:36 AM
    Double taxation usa and india
    Hi

Before I moved to the US, I owned property in india. I have now been a resident of US for last 9 years. I am now selling the property. Question is:

Where do I pay Capital Gains tax?
    If I had to pay that in India, can I claim credit in the US against the tax paid?
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Feb 28, 2010, 01:55 PM

You will pay the capital gains tax in India if required.
    Yes you can claim a credit against that tax paid on Form 1116.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 2, 2010, 12:10 AM

You will report the sale on schedule D (Form 1040). You will have long term capital gain. Also complete Form 1116.
    Another filing requirement may be Form TD F 90-22.1. Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moved from USA to India (double taxation) [ 2 Answers ]

My situation is as follows, I arrived USA (H1 visa) on 27-January-2007 with my wife (H4 visa). Before that we were in India full time. In USA, I was working for an Indian Company which was paying me the salary (Indian Component + USA allowances) in USA. For Indian FY 2007-08 (from April-2007...

India USA double taxation [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I was in US for about 4 years on F1 status(2 yrs) and later on H1 status(one year post OPT). I moved back to India in June 08 for good and need to file my taxes. This is the current scenario: -Left my US job in June, which means I was getting paid till June in USA -I filed US taxes for...

Double taxation India Usa [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am citizen Of india. I was based in US from 2004 to end of 2007. I moved back to India January 2008. I work for company based in US and still on their pay roll.So my country of professional source of income is US but am a resident of india.I plan to continue living in inida. Will double...

Double Taxation between USA and India [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a resident in India and I was a resident alien in USA previously for 6 years and have filed US taxes. Now I am in India, but earning Capital gains and interest income in USA. I am paying taxes in India for my golbal income. Do I have to pay taxes in US for the capital gain and...

View more questions Search