Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    friedmaneben Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2010, 06:18 AM
    If my wife and I file a joint tax return, can we each exclude foreign earned income?
    My wife and I both live and work outside the US, and until this year have filed separately, with each of us taking the foreign earned income exclusion. This year we're considering filing jointly, but it's not clear to us how doing so would affect the amount of foreign earned income that can be excluded. Our question is thus whether the total amount of foreign earned income that we can exclude in filing a joint tax return is $91,400 or $182,800. Can anyone help with this?
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Feb 28, 2010, 01:52 PM

Each of you are entitled to the 91,400 exclusion. Each may take no more than that amount. Don't forget the housing exclusion if necessary.

Read the instructions for the exclusion. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i2555.pdf
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 2, 2010, 12:07 AM

Each of you will complete separate Form 2555.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married filing joint file tax returns, if my wife is working in foreign country [ 4 Answers ]

Am I eligible to file tax returns in married filing joint status, if my wife is working in foreign country (i.e. in INDIA) for whole year 2009? If yes, what are the documents I need to file tax returns as married filing joint? Please assist me.

How to exclude WA income while filing CA tax return [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student in CA university since sept 2007. I have one W2 form from my university in CA. I have another W2 form from my internship in WA. While filling the federal tax returns I used both W2 forms. WA has not state tax. However while filling CA tax return, do I need to show my entire...

Wife in india during tax year. Can I file joint state return for MN? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I got married at the end of 2007. My wife came to US in 2008. Filed federal return jointly along with W7 and obtained ITIN. I've to file MN state return. Could I still use married filing jointly with MN return. If yes, is form M1 sufficient or do I have to attach form M1NR for my wife even...

Tax on Foreign Earned Income - NRO [ 5 Answers ]

I am a resident alien and I have a NRO certificate of deposit in India. If I understand correctly I need to report interest income earned in India also. 30% tax is already being deducted at source by the Indian bank on the interest I earn in India. Do I have to pay taxes in US too ? Or can...

View more questions Search