Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    praying_mom Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2010, 10:18 PM
    In Ga, how would a disposed felony show up on a background check for nursing school?
    Six years ago, my underage son was arrested, along with several friends, after they went to a bar and bought themselves drinks with a fake id. The judge in their cases offered them the choice of a felony charge or they could complete a new drug/alcohol program that this judge had started and upon completion, their cases would be disposed. This was the first trouble he had ever been in and has had a clean record since and has been attending college and doing great! Now he has been accepted into a nursing program and has to complete a background check prior to actually being accepted into the program. Does anyone know what will show up on this background check? Will this crush his hard efforts and dreams and continue to punish him, or will he be able to put all this behind him and move on?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 26, 2010, 10:44 PM

Was his arrest as a minor or a adult ?

All minor records are sealed anyway at 18 in GA.

If they were arrested and charged as a adult, did anyone go back to court to be sure that the judge actually did dismiss the charges.

Next "disposed" he can either dismiss the charges, ( as if he was never charged) or he can seal the records.

That is the big issue and most important.

Then I will even go further, there are 100's of private search companies that often find and contain lots of records not on the official government records, so if they found his arrest, it may show up on them.

Assuming the judge dismissed it, then it would not be a conviction.

And is that the question, have you ever been convicted, or does it ask, have you ever been arrested.

Feb 26, 2010, 11:28 PM

He was charged as an adult but their was never a conviction. According to the attorney and the agreement with the judge, the case would be disposed. He met the requirements without any problems. I figured his best bet is to be honest and if it states arrested answer yes, but convicted he should answer no... is that correct?

Feb 26, 2010, 11:31 PM

I also have another question regarding this... I went to the public site in our state and when I pull his name up it gives me the charges and dates of arrest and the date of dispo for the charges. It also gives the case number. When I try to pull it up by the case number, nothing shows??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nursing Career with a felony background [ 8 Answers ]

If a felon - charged in a non violent crime who also has a third degree sexual assult charge on his record, - is interested in a degree as a Registered Nurse, what information about those charges would prohibit him from receiving an RN degree and later being hired as an RN? Does the type of...

Will a shoplifting ticket show up on a background check? [ 1 Answers ]

Got caught shoplifting, was given a ticket. I'm over 18. Live in Southern California. Will I have a record now? If not will it ever show up on any background checks for employment?

Will a military background check show up on a civilian criminal background check? [ 2 Answers ]

Will a military background check show up on a civilian background check?

School Distict -- DMV background check? [ 1 Answers ]

Would a school district check DMV records as part of a background check for a clerk position? How long does it take a DUI to show up on your driving record?

Background check on School History [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! I have a question, I have applied for another position at my job as a Supervisor. My high Shool Diploma is gone and I do not have duplicate. The high Shool that I went to is no longer around. (CLOSED) So how can Human Resource retrieve this information that they need. I have been in my...

View more questions Search