Feb 26, 2010, 09:25 PM
    How can I get child support from the father that has ssi
    I've tried but they keep saying I cant
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 26, 2010, 09:59 PM

First who are "they"

But several things,
    1. have you filed for dependent SSI payments, they should receive money if their father is receiving SSI

2. you get a child support order from the court, it will be set at a amount according to his current income. ( so it will not be alot) the issue is collection
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2010, 09:47 AM

If SSI is the only income he has then "they" are right. SSI is the only thing that is not able to be counted as income for child support so an order can not be made. If there is already an order and he went to court showing that he is on SSI then the order would have been stopped and any arrears are not collectible either. What you can do is contact the social security office on Monday and ask if your child can also receive payments because the father is on SSI. Sometimes they can and sometimes they can't but you have to ask the office to find out where your child falls.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Feb 27, 2010, 09:57 PM

There are two types of social security disability. One is SSDI/Social Security Disability Insurance / and this is restricted to individuals who have worked and now find themselves disabled. The other is SSI/Supplemental Security Income/ which is a form of benefit for individuals who have never worked. The latter is often viewed as a form of social assistance.

If a parent is on SSDI and is responsible for paying monthly child support payments, there is a chance that the payment can be taken from their SSDI proceeds.

In the case of SSI, the custodial parent has no right to any of the proceeds from the disability benefits. They can also not have any back payments they may be entitled to, taken for this reason.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support or ssi benefits for kids because father is in jail [ 5 Answers ]

Ok I want to know if there is anyway to get more then 5 dollars a month for 3 kids child support or attach ssi for money.. The father is in prison for 12 -36 years for attempting to kill me and his own kids.. I was a stay at home Mother for 13 years we have lost mostly everything as it was an...

Can child support be taken from my child father ssi [ 2 Answers ]

My child father I not currently working and is on public asstistaces and recivces ssi so I wanted to know if child support can be taken from his ssi

SSI Benefits and Child Support for Disabled Adult Child [ 3 Answers ]

I am the father of a 19 year old disabled daughter (learning disabilities). Her mother has been collecting child support for the past 14 years, but our CA Court Order ends child supoort at age 19. Her mother is now in the porcess of taking me back to court to continue the Adult with Disabilities...

Father on SSI so no child support? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, My children's father is on SSI and does not pay his court ordered child support. I also know that he has been working under the table for some time now (and is earning more than me) and still will not pay his child support. He is 15 months behind on payments. I had a child support case...

View more questions Search