Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gskitty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2006, 06:34 PM
    How do I apply for Charity Care
    I've tried searching the internet, including the web sites of various local hospitals but I cannot find the information I need. I know that Charity Care is available in Maryland for people who simply cannot pay for medical care. I just need to find out how to apply - is it through the state? Or hospital by hospital?

My brother-in-law, 32 years old, was diagnosed with stomach cancer. He has absolutely no assets and I imagine is no longer working because he has been ill for some time. He hasn't had insurance for years and has no prospect of getting any. Some hospital somewhere had to do a biopsy for him to get diagnosed, and I'm sure they know that they aren't going to get paid. He may have already applied for something but no one, including him, seems to know anything about that.

I would just like to see him get some basic care and help with pain management until he passes. I did find a hospice that claims to not consider a patient's ability to pay in their decision to accept someone for hospice care. I just fear that he might not be sick enough to qualify for hospice just yet.

Anyone have any suggestions? He currently lives in Calvert County, MD
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 27, 2006, 06:37 PM
    Has he applied for medicaid or medicare? These are federally funded programs that can help people in his situation. He can contact is local Department of Health and Human Services to get the information needed to apply for these programs.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 27, 2006, 07:59 PM
    Yes, he needs to contact the social security admin and apply for disability insurance.

Next or maybe first you need to contact your social services department in your county and apply for medicaid.

In our area any state funded hospital can not turn someone away for their inability to pay. They can of course show you still oweing it, but unable to collect.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 27, 2006, 08:12 PM
    Oops, Fr. Chuck, I got to spread the love some more. I totally forgot about disability!!

Some refer to it as SSDI if I am correct.

I believe that most local health departments have all of the contact numbers that are needed.
    haroun40 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2009, 04:18 PM
    How do I apply for charity care for children in iraq

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should churches apply for 501c3? [ 2 Answers ]

LBJ's Conspiracy To Silence the Churches of America Most churches in America have organized as "incorporated 501c3 tax-exempt religious organizations." This is a fairly recent trend that has only been going on for about fifty years. Churches were only added to section 501c3 of the tax code in...

Retail charity marketing [ 1 Answers ]

I'm interested to know if anyone has statistical facts on how retail marketing is affected by the affiliation of a charitable cause in that marketing. If a retailer gives some of their profit to a charity, do they sell more merchandise and it so, is it a lot more? Why?

Apply to a university in US for PhD [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everybody,:) I am planning to pursue my academic study as a PhD student in a US university, but I really do not know how to cope with its procedure, however, I have been visiting many US universities homepages and accumulated a mass of information and conditions for applying, which one may...

Charity contribution [ 4 Answers ]

I have learn so much by reading post here. I gave charity contrybutin to my church every year. I would like to know how is it firgure(formula) How much is allowed each year. Does it affect how much I pay in taxes and what is the cutoff where it does not matter how much I gave. Thank,I...

View more questions Search