Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicholas725 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2010, 06:55 PM
    I'm 17,can I get emancipated since my grandparents are holding me back in life as in
    They won't let me get my license though my uncle lets me drive and I do very well and since I don't have a license I'm trying to get a job since I don't have that I've asked them if they can drive me to the place where the job is asking me to come in for an interview well they can never do it they are holding me back in life on top they get $625 for me from SS on top I got money to buy my car once I got my license and I can pay for my insurance as well but I want to start my life in I don't know what to do but they say I can't get emancipated since they only have temp custudy is this true and if so what would you people do in my situation. I know my real dad but my family says he's all about money to I don't know him that well. Help?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 26, 2010, 06:58 PM

Can you live on your own and support yourself completely? That's what you have to prove to a judge, and actually be doing it.

Why won't your grandparents let you get your license or even a job? Do you live out in the country or in a city with busy streets?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 26, 2010, 07:04 PM

In one sentence you don't have a license, in the next you have it,? Try and keep your story the same.

This is really not a reason to request it, but before you can request it, you will have to

1. have enough money to hire a attorney
    2. have a job that pays enough money so you can live completely on your own
    3. and have a valid reason to request it.

Next of course is the issue of time, it would take months to get to court. So most likely you would already be 18 before it would ever get ruled on
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 26, 2010, 07:05 PM

For one thing at your age its not even a question of emancipation since you haven't met any requirements already. Plus the time it takes to document everything and set a court date you will already be 18. So stay in school and do your best. DO NOT drive. It is illegal for you to do so and you have no idea what the result can be. Also if something were to happen you may not see a license until 21 or even older. Too much to risk.
    nicholas725 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2010, 07:06 PM
    Can I get my license without parents at 17 in Lousiana?
    I know I could with the 6hour pre-thing since I did that on my own without them but if I would walk in to the dmv with that and my id and SSN would that be good if I had my friends mom with me and her car? Could do it in Lousiana?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2010, 08:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas725 View Post
    i know i could with the 6hour pre-thing since i did that on my own without them but if i would walk in to the dmv with that and my id and SSN would that be good if i had my friends mom with me and her car? could do it in Lousiana?
    Just out of curiosity, why are you trying to do this without your parents' consent? Have they told you that they won't give it, or do you live with someone else?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tuitoring and Holding Back [ 1 Answers ]

To Whom It May Concern: I have a 12 year old, in the 7th grade, who has ADD and Diabetes type 1. During his school year he has received over 15 F's and many U's Next year I would like to have him repeat the 7th grade and hire a professional tutor. What is the best letter to give to the...

Do Grandparents have right to visitation if they have never been in her life? [ 15 Answers ]

My daughter is 8 yrs old. The father now deceased went 8 years without seeing his daughter because he was running to keep from paying child support. May of this year he came back around (8 yrs later) I let him see her and he still didn't see her like he should have. 2 months later he was killed....

Is my felony holding me back? [ 5 Answers ]

I committed a nonviolent felony (stole a car) when I was 18 in Atlanta. I am now 24 years old and realize that I need an education to get any farther in life than I am. I have just recently gotten my GED and plan on going into graphic design or architecture if I am able. My question is : Will this...

What's holding him back? [ 1 Answers ]

I met my ex at work in 2004. He had started exactly a week before me. I thought he was cute, but someone had told me he had been engaged for like a month or so. I thought to myself 'oh darn' I had no motive to go and bust them up. Him and I talked at work and eventually through emails and...

Possession.holding me back? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey Evryone! I'm a 16 yr.old female and I have been charged in juvinile court for possession of drugs and passing them out.. im on probation until August. Can this stop me from being able to get emancipated? Thanks!

View more questions Search