Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robnox Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2010, 05:25 PM
    Where is the neutral bonding on my generator
    I purchased a milwaukee 4960-24 generator and need to remove the neutral bonding wire,any suggestions
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 26, 2010, 06:19 PM

Not sure which wire your referring to. All references to neutral show as being there and there is a secific warning against removing the nuetral wire.

Ref:

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/CMS/Dia...-14-4900d1.pdf

Mar 1, 2010, 05:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Not sure which wire your refering to. All references to neutral show as being there and there is a secific warning against removing the nuetral wire.

Ref:

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/CMS/Dia...-14-4900d1.pdf
    What I'm trying to do is use this gen. for my house.There is neutral bonding at the service panel therefore I need to make my gen. floating
    Bonded.This will eliminate the neutral being bonded twice.I'm not using
    A transfer switch.

Mar 1, 2010, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by robnox View Post
    What I'm trying to do is use this gen. for my house.There is neutral bonding at the service panel therefore I need to make my gen. floating
    bonded.This will eliminate the neutral being bonded twice.I'm not using
    a transfer switch.
    I'm wondering if the jumper on the terminal block between ground and the and neutral if removed will solve the issue.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2010, 07:13 PM

Remove the connection at P1-5

What people do, it make a twist lock plug with N and G shorted for those times you want to operate the generator stand-alone. Generally you don't need the 240 when doing this.
    RA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2010, 12:39 PM
    Hello,

I also have the same problem on my Generac GP8000E. I contacted Generac and they told me they could not tell me how to remove the bond to create a floating neutral when connecting to a 2 pole transfer switch. It would violate their UL rating to do so.

Then I asked if they would send me a picture of the wiring and point out the bond jumper on it and they said no.

I understand the code states to have the neutral bonded to the ground at one point only but what will happen if I use the generator as is connected to a transfer switch using a 4 prong 240 V plug? I guess the 120 V GFI outlets on the generator would see current on the ground and trip but would the 30 Amp breaker for the 240 V plug trip? I don't think it is also a GFI.

Thanks,

Rich

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neutral And Ground Bonding [ 7 Answers ]

I am replacing my oven. Service at the main breaker's bus bar has neutral and ground in the same bus bar. Since the wire to the old oven is Aluminum, I will run Aluminum wire to a sub panel and use copper wire from the breaker to the oven. Do I bond the neutral bar to the sub box? I don't...

Bonding the neutral bar [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 200amp main panel in my basement. I want to put a 100amp subpanel in my garage to service 2- 2pole 20amp circuits for 2 a/c condensers and 2- single pole 20a convenience circuits for the garage. My questions are 1 what size feeder wire would I need for the subpanel. (THHN in conduit) and...

Generator neutral ground bonding [ 6 Answers ]

I have a EU2000i generator for my 5th wheel. The trailer system is not bonded and the gen set is not bonded. I was told to make a short extension cord and bond the male plug so that the electrical will work properly. I would like to know if this will work safely.

What is the use of neutral zone in dc generator [ 0 Answers ]

As we know that neutral zone was shifted fom no load to full load then brush position are also changed in order get good commutation with outany sparking

Bonding of the neutral and ground [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have a subpanel coming from a main distro panel with my local power source being a Y connected generator. How many places/panels should the grounded and grounding conductors be bonded? I believe it is the first means of disconnect which is my MDP. All subpanels from that point on...

View more questions Search