Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    10014guy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 10:29 PM
    Existential Crisis at 30?
    I am a 30 year old male in NYC and feel like my life has not turned out the way I ever wanted it to.
    I work in a job that most people would probably die for, but after 6 years it is slowly draining the life out of me. I work for a psychotic and abusive boss who has convinced me I can't do anything right, and I have lost all the self confidence I once possessed.
    I used to have a big circle of friends, and was a social and outgoing person. I have just realized that I now have ZERO friends. This didn't happen over night of course, but has been slow and gradual where friends have drifted apart, moved out of the city, etc. In any event, I find myself completely lacking any friendship base and as a result I feel like I am developing horrible social anxiety.
    I am in a relationship but I feel like my partner is my ONLY outlet. I see nobody else on a social basis, and it is just the 2 of us day in and day out.
    I feel like I am completely losing my mind, and I can't understand how my life turned out like this.
    Help!
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2010, 05:18 AM

Does the job stress situation have more meaning than the relationship?

Where are your priorities?

What do you think will improve your life most,better communication between you and your boss/co-workers,etc, or making new friends?
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Feb 26, 2010, 09:25 AM
    It's all about balance. If you like the job you do, but you are affected by how you are treated, you can learn how to turn it off at the end of the day, and replace the built up stress with a stop at the gym on the way home. You can also start looking for a new job. It may be less pay, but if it balances out your outlook, and you are happier, why not start looking.

What interests did you have before your job started affecting you so much.

Is your partner willing to go out more, socialize more, meet new people?

You were 24 when you started this 'dream' job, and at that age, people do relocate, get into serious relationships, get married, and are otherwise themselves probably wondering as you are, where did the good times go! See if you can't re-kindle some of those relationships, and make an effort to visit, and Facebook them, and see what happens.

While you may see all of this as negative, I see this as a lightbulb going off in your head. You recognize you need to make some personal changes in order to balance out your life with what you want and need, with what you can afford to change.

Far better to make changes at 30, then to wait another 10 years when you are a lot less flexible.

Time to stop stewing, and start moving. Life is short. As you've learned, time also moves at mach speed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this a midlife crisis or is it really over? [ 19 Answers ]

We have been together for over 6 years. Her mom just died in September & now she says she can't give me what I deserve in a relationship. She is now going out with friends & drinking alot; staying out all night sometimes; hanging out with younger people. We had a great relationship up until...

1/4 life crisis [ 10 Answers ]

This may sound weird but I'm going through like a mid-age crisis at age 15. It has been going on for like 2 years. I am depressed because I feel old, I do not know why. I am 15 and I feel as if I was like 50 years old. I think its because I'm afraid of growing up... Im not afraid of death, having a...

Is he having a midlife crisis? [ 4 Answers ]

I have been married to the same man for 30 years. We haven't slept in the same bed for 6 years. He claims I snore too much. We have had sex maybe 3 times in those years. I think he has erection problems even though he has never talked about itl All he ever does is make remarks about the weight I...

Many Crisis [ 1 Answers ]

I am not sure how to help myself. I am very upset most of my life. I can't afford therapy and I am afraid to if I could. The man that I love is so against mental illness. Ever since I can remember I have worried about things. I am talking about a young age. First it was my father? Was he...

Relationships crisis [ 2 Answers ]

Would like to know if my present partner is the one for life or my ex boyfriend or none of them,is there anyone still coming into my life? And is that ex boyfriend the father of my daughter? Date of birth 06.05.1978.

View more questions Search