Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ramasamy subbiah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 08:21 PM
    1040 resident alien tax form
    I came here December 2007 I am in j-1 visiting exchange visa 2009 my wife and daughter joined with me they stayed in America 8months only they left 2009 (march 15 to oct 14).
    I received w-2 form. I want to know my status am I resident alien or Non-resident alien? Which form should I submit?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 26, 2010, 02:06 PM

You should post this question in the Money & Services > Taxes forum - you are much more likely to get an answer there than posting under Science > Biology!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Joint tax return non-alien resident and alien resident with form 1042s [ 3 Answers ]

Hi My wife is an alien resident, but we just got married, so I am still a non-alien resident. We are intending to fill out joint tax return as alien residents. But my problem is I have both w-2 and 1042s forms. The 1042s reflects my income from a fellowship which has been taxed each month. The...

Resident alien married to Nonresident alien- 1040 details [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a straightforward question: I am a resident alien who is married to a nonresident alien. We have one child who is my dependent. I will be filing as head of household and will claim an exemption for my wife (she does not work) and for my child. Do I still need to write my wife's...

Can I file as a Resident Alien or Non Resident Alien (1040 or 1040 NR) [ 4 Answers ]

I landed for first time in US on 10 Oct 2007 on H1B visa and my wife came to US on 02 November on H4 Visa. I will be staying here for may be at least one year. I am confused as which form should I use 1040NR or 1040, Substantial presence test has confused me a bit. When will I pass this test, and...

Fill in tax form as resident alien or non resident ? [ 7 Answers ]

I am from China and I held B1 to enter US in Jan.2001 and changed the status B1 to F1 on 12/26/2001. I returned to China and returned to USA in 2005 with a new F1 visa . I had no income in 2001 and 2002 and I failed to fill in the tax return in 2001 and 2002 since I didn't know I needed to do so ...

1040NR -> 1040: Non-resident Alien to Resident Alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I've heard a rumor that after 5 years of being an international student filling out 1040NRs, you are supposed to start filling out a 1040 instead of a 1040NR. I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and...

View more questions Search