Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrpowell02 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 08:00 PM
    What can I do about my neighbors disrespectful, destructive kids and dogs.
    My wife and I have lived in our home since 2000. About a year and a half ago we got some new neighbors next door to us. To make a long story short, their kids continuously trespass, are destructive to our house and vehicles. They always come over at all hours of the day and night taking stuff off my property, have scratched are cars with rocks. There dog is always over chasing are outdoor cat, eats his food. There kids have thrown food on our vehicle. Etc. Etc. My list can go on and on. We (my wife and I) have told the parents numerous times and nothing has changed. One time when food (soup or mashed potatoes) was thrown on my wife's car, I barked at there oldest boy. He went crying to his mother, I knocked and she tried to turn it around like they were the victims, and I quote from the mother (he's only 5 yrs. Old he doesn't know any better, don't you ever yell at him again). So I turned and walked away. Then cleaned my car. They have 3 bys. 2 of them are 4 yrs, and 1 is 6 yrs. Ive had it, please give me help. It would be greatly appreciated. I can tell you more about this experience if needed. Thank you. Oh I also forgot we do have several No Trespassing signs also and fences and they do not help. Please help us...
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2010, 08:09 PM

Call the police every single time something happens, no matter how trivial.

We have neighbors very similar to what you are describing. They don't throw food at our cars but they have an unregistered motorbike they ride up and down the street (no helmets) 4 dogs when they are only allowed 2, they swear and carry on out on the road and have thrown used condoms over our fence... that was the last of a very long line of straws.

Now we call the police every time they do something remotely illegal. They are on the verge of being kicked out of their house (it is government housing)
    When the police come to the house they are quiet for about a week before they start up again, but at least that a week of peace!

You can't allow this to keep going on, especially if they are damaging your property!
    rossbballer2014 Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Feb 25, 2010, 08:11 PM
    I say call the police on the kids to scare them from comeing over.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 25, 2010, 09:22 PM

You call the police, not to scare anyone, but to deal with the problem, if there is damage, sue them for the damages.

I would get video, triggered by movement that filmed the main parts of your yard, as evidence
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2010, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrpowell02 View Post
    Oh I also forgot we do have several No Trespassing signs also and fences and they do not help.
    Hello jr:

Build a better fence. I think they have the kind that'll keep people out.

excon
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2010, 03:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello jr:

Build a better fence. I think they have the kind that'll keep people out.

excon
    Exy, we have a huge fence in between us and next door... it didn't stop their dogs from jumping it.
    We extended the top of the fence which then kept the dogs out but that's when the rubbish throwing started.

Of coarse we only have a 2 foot high fence out the front so the kids just hop over it and take whatever they want out our front yard :rolleyes:
    Bferg23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2010, 04:26 PM
    Two words- SHOT GUN
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2010, 08:34 PM

Hello again,

Try this:

excon
    ItchyAndAnnoyed Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2010, 02:42 AM
    Write down every instance. Use a calendar, put in dates times and details. If ever you wanted to make a case this would be needed for at least a month in advance.

Write a letter to you ASB team at the council and Safer Neighbourhood Police team. Submit all incidents (I believe in some countries you can via the internet) and log anything. If you can get any evidence of them damaging your property then do so, but be careful if taking vid or photo evidence of kids because that could easily look very bad on you-get advice from Citizen's advice and

Keep a hose in your garden, soak the dog (and kids) if they come into it.

Not sure if you are in the UK or not but this website has plenty of advice even if you aren't: http://www.nfh.org.uk/
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2010, 05:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ItchyAndAnnoyed View Post
    Write down every instance. Use a calendar, put in dates times and details. If ever you wanted to make a case this would be needed for at least a month in advance.

Write a letter to you ASB team at the council and Safer Neighbourhood Police team. Submit all incidents (i believe in some countries you can via the internet) and log anything. If you can get any evidence of them damaging your property then do so, but be careful if taking vid or photo evidence of kids because that could easily look very bad on you-get advice from Citizen's advice and

Keep a hose in your garden, soak the dog (and kids) if they come into it.

Not sure if you are in the UK or not but this website has plenty of advice even if you aren't: Neighbours From Hell in Britain

What kind of case do you believe this person could make? You are in the UK and I realize it's different from the US.

"Soaking the dog and kids" with a hose, whether they are in the garden, can get you arrested in the US so it's not good universal advice.

Sep 24, 2010, 06:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    What kind of case do you believe this person could make? You are in the UK and I realize it's different from the US.

"Soaking the dog and kids" with a hose, whether or not they are in the garden, can get you arrested in the US so it's not good universal advice.

Hmm point taken about the hose. I'm not sure how if it's on his property but as you said your law works differently.

Can you not get a case against them for antisocial behaviour? That's quite common hear and often when it's raised and there is evidence the police give a warnign or caution to the offenders or an ASBO. Perhaps your laws are different there, but in the UK if neighbours behave in this way being antisocial, vandalising property and the like, you can - if it's ext4reme and the people don't stop- get them removed from their house, forced to move or, in the cases where intimidation and bullying involved, restrainign orders. Also, you can get 'distance orders' which means that if there's a lot of incident reports showing someone is intruding on your property, they get have to sign an order which states they will not in future. If they continue then they are in breech and can be prosecuted.

I have no idea what US law is like, or even that the OP came from the US, but I'm surprised similar things don't apply in that manner. Surely antisocial behaviour is frowned on by the law?
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2010, 06:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ItchyAndAnnoyed View Post
    Hmm point taken about the hose. I'm not sure how if it's on his property but as you said your law works differently.

Can you not get a case against them for antisocial behaviour? That's quite common hear and often when it's raised and there is evidence the police give a warnign or caution to the offenders or an ASBO. Perhaps your laws are different there, but in the UK if neighbours behave in this way being antisocial, vandalising property and the like, you can - if it's ext4reme and the people don't stop- get them removed from their house, forced to move or, in the cases where intimidation and bullying involved, restrainign orders. Also, you can get 'distance orders' which means that if there's a lot of incident reports showing someone is intruding on your property, they get have to sign an order which states they will not in future. If they continue then they are in breech and can be prosecuted.

I have no idea what US law is like, or even that the OP came from the US, but I'm surprised similar things don't apply in that manner. Surely antisocial behaviour is frowned on by the law?

All interesting and very different from US. In the US - and Canada - "anti social" behavior is certainly not acceptable, but it's not illegal unless it becomes dangerous. You can order a person off your property but getting a restraining order usually does little good - they stand on the property line and taunt you if that's the plan - if they live next door.

I personally had a problem some years ago, retained an Attorney, sued the people for an unintentional result of an intentional act (damage to my property, injury to my dogs, I lived in a hostile atmosphere), wording the lawsuit so that their homeowners insurance would be brought in. HO insurance investigated and dropped their insurance based on their proven actions. They couldn't get HO, the mortgage required it, they moved to another location (husband requested a transfer), and I don't know what happened.

I will say that their behavior was extreme. The son got a prison term of 10+ years for his behavior totally unrelated to me involving several underage girls.

Anyway - interesting info and I appreciate you spending the time to post it.

Sep 24, 2010, 07:53 AM
    All interesting and very different from US. In the US - and Canada - "anti social" behavior is certainly not acceptable, but it's not illegal unless it becomes dangerous. You can order a person off your property but getting a restraining order usually does little good - they stand on the property line and taunt you if that's the plan - if they live next door.

I personally had a problem some years ago, retained an Attorney, sued the people for an unintentional result of an intentional act (damage to my property, injury to my dogs, I lived in a hostile atmosphere), wording the lawsuit so that their homeowners insurance would be brought in. HO insurance investigated and dropped their insurance based on their proven actions. They couldn't get HO, the mortgage required it, they moved to another location (husband requested a transfer), and I don't know what happened.

I will say that their behavior was extreme. The son got a prison term of 10+ years for his behavior totally unrelated to me involving several underage girls.

Anyway - interesting info and I appreciate you spending the time to post it.
    Ouch, sorry you had that kind of problem. No worries, I was subject to antisocial behaviour myself so after a year of liasing with the police and the council (the latter of whom did next to nothing despite it being their responsibility to) I learned a lot about it. Especially when we went to court.

The antisocial behaviour was similar in some ways, our washing hung out
    On the line was damaged, hostile atmosphere, ourselves and kittens were threatened but thankfully not done upon . We also had constant harassment, night and day, intimidation and threats of violence- sexual and physical- it was extremely traumatising and I was glad when the man was given a suspended sentence and restraining order.

It's interestign how different these laws are place to place. Right now the Police are being slammed for not dealing with antisocial behaviour enough but sadly, the law doesn't let them and the councils are crap, and other witnesses failing to report the crime makes for no evidence.
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2010, 08:28 AM

And I'm sure you found what I found - other neighbors were hesitant and/or afraid to get involved for fear the harassment would turn toward them. AFTER my neighbors left other neighbors came over to tell me what they had seen and heard. Of course, by that time it no longer mattered.

Sep 24, 2010, 09:00 AM
    And I'm sure you found what I found - other neighbors were hesitant and/or afraid to get involved for fear the harassment would turn toward them. AFTER my neighbors left other neighbors came over to tell me what they had seen and heard. Of course, by that time it no longer mattered.
    Exactly true, my neighbours are the same. I never expected them to actually get involved though when the sexual harassment was being screamed at me I would have liked someone to say 'that's disrespectful' especially as I'm by a primary school and his language was vulgar!

But to be honest, I feel quite annoyed that when asked (by phone), by the police and council, they refused to get involved and just confirm what happened. Over here they have the option of anon reporting and online reporting so the person wouldn't even be aware who did it unless it went to court. And even then they have the option to submit a statement which the defendant is not allowed to read or see from who it came.

So now when they try to draw me in conversation and gossip about 'how awful that man was and how great it's gone' I'm civil but decline to be friends. I (and my friend) spent the year in constant upset and had to be stressed with reporting and court and his behaviour, they merely fueled his fire by condoning it with their inaction.

I guess it annoys me because I stand up to bullies and am upset when others won't. Ironically, it was us refusing to join a 'hate' capmpaign and petition for a neighbour to be removed (who never did anythign but refuse his friendship advances) that made him turn on us, so in a way I understand it but it *everyone* had stood up he wouldn't have been able to and would have been removed very quickly.
    just a jerk Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Mar 21, 2012, 09:29 PM
    Buy a cattle prod and every time the child is doing something nasty to your property use it. Don't let the parents see it happen. Then when they tell on you , you don't have a clue what they are talking about. I am sure the kids will never come over for any reason again.
    mannblk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2012, 01:08 PM
    Contact your local Social Services Child Protection. It's obvious the children lack supervision by their parents.
    nitesh k Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2012, 09:57 PM
    HI
    I am from Bangalore. I live in rented house since 6 years.Opposite house has a highly destructive 12 year old boy. He keeps troubling me and my property. Without any reason he will speak like: I will bomb this car he has done many scratches. He will stand in between the main door with cycle when I am going out. He will not move and finally he speaks very bad word. I do not understand what to do with this monster! Pl guide.
    Going to police is good but it spoils relationship as my house owner and that boy's grandfather - are brothers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disrespectful Neighbors... [ 9 Answers ]

Living in CT, what are laws pertaining to neighbors, that play loud music all day long, and musical instruments all hours of the night, to the point where we can't hear the T.V. and the floor is vibrating. This has been a feud since he moved in. Cops were involved before, but nothing came about. ...

Neighbors won't control kids or dogs [ 9 Answers ]

Controlling neighbors?? I have a huge problem with BOTH of my neighbors not only are their kids horrible but get this their dogs have even caused property damage. Today the neighbors on our left their dog jumped the fence and attacked our 15 year husky retriever mix who is defenseless due to his...

Ousting the disrespectful kids [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 adult children (19 & 21). Neither work full time, both refuse to pay room & board They do not follow house rules, feel they can come and go and do what ever they please. They are loud and very disrespectful to me in my home. Can I legally kick them to the curb? I love my kids and this...

Neighbors dogs abused! [ 16 Answers ]

Me and my daughter were taking a walk and we passed a near by house that had 2 dogs that were skin and bones, It was strange because we had never seen them out side before. We called animal abuse and asked them to ck it out. After that some time went by and we only seen 1 dog outside and it...

Disrespectful neighbors [ 7 Answers ]

MY husband,Myself and our 15yr.old Daughter have been living in our"HOME" for four years now and the apt. downstairs from us has been vacant the whole time we have been here. The people that moved in just recently do not fit in with this town t all. They are rude,crud,ugly and just had a child.This...

View more questions Search