Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jonica Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2006, 02:37 PM
    Cutting existing laminate counter top
    Help, I am looking to do a low cost reno to my kitchen. I am hoping to reconfigure the existing lower cabinates and as a result need to cut the existing counter top. I have heard different comments as to how successful this can be. I need to cut the length to make a join and also remove an edge in order to instal the counter top flush with the wall. Is it really possible to make these cuts without terribly unsightly chips?
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Nov 27, 2006, 08:47 PM
    You can use a jigsaw with a non splintering blade. (check the packaging on the blade)

If you want to cut the top w/ a citcular saw, turn the countertop upside down and cut. The blade of the saw will cut the finished side on the "up" rotation of the blade thus preventing chipping.
    jackie-in-flatrock Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2009, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by skiberger View Post
    You can use a jigsaw with a non splintering blade. (check the packaging on the blade)

If you want to cut the top w/ a citcular saw, turn the countertop upside down and cut. The blade of the saw will cut the finished side on the "up" rotation of the blade thus preventing chipping.
    Also put masking tape over the area you want to cut. Place the tape on the laminate side. Cut from the unfinished side. Make sure your cut is in the taped area. The tape will help prevent the laminate from chipping. Put down towels or rags to keep the work surface from scratching the laminate. I can't remember if I used a plywood saw blade or if there was a special laminate saw blade. :)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 19, 2009, 04:47 PM

Chipping happens because most blades are cutting on a up stroke so flip the project over and cut from the bottom. You can also score the top with a utility knife, we do that on luan covered doors when we trim them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laminate Sheets for kitchen counter tops [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone knew where I can get laminate sheets to cover my existing laminate counter tops. Everywhere I have looked they sell the precut counters themselves, but they are standard sizes. I have one counter that is L shaped and very long and that's not standard size I...

Cultured Granite counter top water stain [ 2 Answers ]

My wife has placed a plant on our kitchen counter top, which is made of a dark grey colored cultured granite. The plant apparently remained in the same position for nearly a year. Today when it was removed there remains a white discoloration, almost a bleached out stain the exact size of the...

Glue on Corrian Counter Top [ 2 Answers ]

I have moved into a home that the previous owners had gotten some sort of crazy glue or rubber cement glue all over. What can I do to remove this without ruining the counter top? Also, it is on my linoleum floor. Any suggestions for removing it there? Thank you.

How to remove cambria counter top [ 3 Answers ]

we need to remove a cambria kitchen bar top so we can lower the knee wall and reinstall, the installer won't come back. The knee wall is 2x4 with sheetrock and the Cambria was glued on top with liquid nails Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cutting Laminate [ 2 Answers ]

Building a bar in my kitchen and decided to buy laminate and cover with the same color as my countertops.Now I've read that cut laminate slightly bigger then area to cover and router after glue is all set up.I read to that if you place tape where your going to cut.It can be cut with a circular saw...

View more questions Search