Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    latin8 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 07:21 PM
    Can I sue my employer if they lost my employee file?
    I have reasons to believe my employer lost my employee file and/or at least some relevant forms in the file. If the employer loses my employee file, can I sue for damages? Are they responsible in any way for losing it?
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2010, 07:22 PM

What damages have been done towards you? Why do you thin they've lost it anyway?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 25, 2010, 07:28 PM

The employee files belong to the employer. I've never gotten my files from any employer I've ever worked for.

What damages would you sue for?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 25, 2010, 08:41 PM

Two in a row right on the money, you have to sustain damages. This file is about you, it is not your property, you have no standing
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 25, 2010, 09:09 PM

If for example, they contained info about a TB test or phsycial, and you had to get them redid, they would have to pay for them.

If they contained proof of taking some certification courses, the cost of replacing them would be on them but then it is their file, and they can normally rebuild most of the info.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

5 year employee fired because of mental illness- can he sue? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a friend whom was working for this company for 5 years. His boss was aware of his bipolar condition. Due to his condition he is unable to wake up early. He tries his hardest, he gets up takes his pills and pushes his way through. The problem was the he was late to work, various...

How much time does an ex-employee have to sue? [ 1 Answers ]

A former employee who resigned, emailed us that he may intend to sue our company. He states that information about his personal status - wife left him, may be facing foreclosure -- may be discussed with other employees. This hasn't happened, although this person was very popular, and most everyone...

Can a employee sue a manager for their salary [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my name is raul I am a manager and member of a LLC which owned a store Recently one of our employee quits last week and she has some dispute about her worked hours she went to court and filed a claim puttting my name as defendant my question is can I challenge in court that my name should not...

Can I sue a former employer for slander? [ 5 Answers ]

My former employer has been contacting current and former employees which were my co-workers and forcing them to remove their personal recommendations for me on linkedin. The empoyer is stating that by recommending me the employees are violating some company policy - which I never heard of. They...

View more questions Search