Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    indy500 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 02:39 PM
    Horizontal vent pipe with no sewer gas smell...
    Does a horizontal 1 1/2" vent pipe in attic, coming from washing machine below, have to go through the roof? And, why is this pipe not giving off a sewer smell? This pipe is uncapped and ends inside the eves area.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2010, 04:43 PM

All vents should go to outside. No smell because there is a trap stopping gases from coming in. If trap gets drained of water will gets smell. This is a health problem.

Chuck
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 25, 2010, 04:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    there is a trap stopping gases from coming in.
    That's not quite correct Chuck. Traps prevent sewer gas from getting out into your house. If you leave a open vent anywhere but outside the house you will have left a direct open connection between your home and the city sewer.

This pipe is uncapped and ends inside the eves area.
    Does that mean it terminates inside the attic next to the eves or does it go outside under the eves? Let me know, Tom
    indy500 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 04:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Does that mean it terminates inside the attic next to the eves or does it go outside under the eves? Let me know, Tom
    Tom, it terminates inside the attic.
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 25, 2010, 05:02 PM

, it terminates inside the attic.
    Read my post and run the pipe outside. Sewer gas is harmful to your families health and the methane content makes it explosive.. Do it ASAP!! Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 25, 2010, 06:57 PM
    Hi all..

Indy:

At a minimum you can install a mechanical vent... called an AAV (see image). This can be adapted to any pipe type with a clamp and a fitting or two. This is easiest, but it is not always CODE LEGAL in all areas.

Otherwsie, as Tom stated real well, you'll need to pipe that vent into other vents in the attic or you'll need to run that vent up and out the roof by itself!

Bottom line, a vent cannot be open to your house.

Back to you...

Mark
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2010, 05:45 AM

Hi speedball

Is it not normal to have a trap on waste pipe just before it exits the house?

Chuck
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 26, 2010, 06:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    Hi speedball

Is it not normal to have a trap on waste pipe just before it exits the house?

Chuck
    Hey Chuck,
    No! Traps are installed on all fixture drains to prevent sewer gas from entering your home. I believe what you're speaking of is a running trap,(see image). This is installed just downstream of the house clean out on the outside. Regards, Tom
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2010, 11:43 PM

Hi Tom

Understand about traps at each fixture.

Doesn't a running trap help prevent gases from backing up into house?

Chuck
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 27, 2010, 08:18 AM

Every trap is there to contain sewer gas. Without them every drain would be a open connection to the city sewer. You don't see too many running traps in a sewer line. The traps in the house are sufficient to stop sewer gas from entering. Regards, Tom,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer gas smell coming from studor vent installed under kitchen sink about a year ago [ 14 Answers ]

Hi - We had a problem with drainage in our kitchen sink after a remodel. It was a year ago I came to this site and asked for help. It was recommended we install a studor vent - which seemed to correct the problem and has worked great. However, we are now getting a terrible sewer smell from the...

Basement sewer smell from Studer vent [ 2 Answers ]

We have been noticing a smell coming from the basement and have been trying to find it for some time. I was above the basment ceiling today and noticed 2 studer vents in the space. I went to one vent and did not smell anything. I went to the other vent and smelled the foul smell. Do studer vents go...

What does gas vent flu need for horizontal hight increse [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I need to move my hot water tank about 6' was wondering how to vent the exhaust gas pipe, I have about 2' it can drop and still fit in the ceiling, is this enough for the 6' between current vent and where heater will be. Thanks moe

Sewer Gas Smell [ 1 Answers ]

We have recently purchased a home that was built in 1979. Right away we noticed a horrible sewer gas smell outside of our home. Upon further investigation, we determined that the smell is coming from the sewer vent pipes on the roof of the house (There are two of them). We do not get the smell...

View more questions Search