Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clicchi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 12:25 PM
    Illinois - private lot accident liability - speed limits ?
    Hello, I was backing out of a designated parking spot at a filling station in my van. It was straight in parking facing the side of the building. There was a through way of sorts behind the building allowing passage behind it. Before backing out I checked and no one was within sight. I backed out very slow maybe 1 or 2 miles per hour. I made a 90 degree hard left turn so now I'm parallel to the building and at the end of backing out. As the turn was completing (I was still in reverse but almost stopped, (almost but not completely) a car came from behind the building and struck my rear bumper (passenger side end) with enough force to break it and it also snapped my shock absorber loose too. She must have been going close to 20 mph or more in this lot. Her car had damage on the drivers front fender (midway) to her door. I got out of the car and asked if everyone was all right and asked the driver to exchange information. I wanted to call the police but she was against it. She asked me if we could just go around the corner to her house to exchange info. I (mistakenly) said okay, I don't know why. I was going to a close relatives funeral and didn't want to be late so it may have clouded my judgment to just get this over without conflict, so I agreed. I hadn't been in an accident in many years and wasn't thinking clearly, I let her off the hook and should have called the cops. Her house was more like 6 blocks away. We exchanged info but while I'm talking to her a little she seems to think the whole thing was my fault now. I left and immediately called her insurance (Allstate) to make a claim and also called mine but just for advice. I told Allstate in my statement all the details and that since I was going no more than 1 or 2 mph and the amount of damage was due to their clients excessive speed. I went to the funeral (got a camera red light ticket in the mail for running the light during the procession, lucky day) and after the funeral went to the police station and made a report. The cop told me since it was on private property he could not issue any citation or assign any fault but would just take the report. We pretty much concluded that the other driver must not have had her license or ins card on her and that's why she wanted to go to her house to exchange info. No proof though. When I talked to my ins. Agent she told me about the same and also that the other drivers ins. Would likely side with their client over me. I called Allstate back and was told to go to their garage (I did that day) to get the damage assessed. It was assessed only and no liability was assigned. The examination missed the shock absorber damage (I told him I kept hearing a clunking sound but he didn't see it) and I found it myself later. Okay, maybe too much information but I wanted to be thorough. What do you think my chances are of getting a check for my damages from her insurance? If they turn me down what are my options? I've been trying to check if Speedway has a speed limit in their lots or for any Illinois or municipal statutes about lot speed limits.
    Thanks. Carlo
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 25, 2010, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clicchi View Post
    ... What do you think my chances are of getting a check for my damages from her insurance? If they turn me down what are my options?...
    From what you say, I'd say it's likely. You were virtually at a stop when the other vehicle hit you (~ 20 MPH, you estimate). I'd ask the insurance company for the other driver's side of the story, and get a copy of the police report (which may include a summary of the other driver's story), but if they refuse to pay I'd consider small claims court.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2010, 02:01 PM

I'm a liability investigator - I see the cause being assigned to both of you. "Virtually at a stop," "almost at a stop," are not the same as stopped.

You are backing straight out, started to straighten out, rear of your car angled toward the driver's side or passenger's side when she comes around the corner?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2010, 01:05 PM

You were backing up. It is your responsibility to back slowly and continuously look around for other vehicles. So she hit you. She was not backing up - you were. You just might lose if you go to court over this. Vans are notoriously hard to see out of when backing up. You need to back a van very, very slowly so as not to hit anyone. I had a Dodge B200 van and I backed that baby real slow, real slow and never hit anyone or had anyone hit me. You need to remember that there are way too many blind spots when backing a van as you are sitting much higher than a regular auto.
    Clicchi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2010, 02:55 AM
    Thanks for the answers. In reply to : JudyKayTee -- To pull out of the parking spot I cut the steering wheel hard left and backed out so drivers side was parallel and closest to the building. I was moving probably less than 1 MPH and applying the brake. There was still room to drive around me or they could stop unless they were going too fast to stop which I think is the case here. So If liability is applied to both of us who pays for what? If her car had been just sitting behind me and I had backed into her at my speed I don't believe there would even have been a dent in either car. So I'll just call her Allstate and see what they've decided. I bet it's not good.

In reply to twinkiedooter -- I was backing very very slowly. I'm an experienced van driver and never had an accident that was my fault in 40+ years. I guess "fault" in parking lots is a problem.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2010, 07:59 AM

"Fault" in ANY accident is a problem - bottom line here (as I see it) is you pulled out into the path of the other vehicle (whether or not you could see the other vehicle is immaterial; you pulled into his/her path) and that was the cause of the accident. It would appear that the other vehicle can prove that you blocked his/her path.

On the other hand other vehicle has a responsibility to drive prudently, be prepared to stop and avoid an accident.

And now the insurance companies get to decide percentage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Auto Accident Liability [ 3 Answers ]

Not too long ago my son backed out of the driveway of our house into a car that was parked on the street. This car was partially blocking the driveway in such a manner as he had to really maneuver the car to try and get out. The car he was driving was mine and there was no insurance on it at the...

Accident equal liability [ 4 Answers ]

I was making a delivery my truck was double parked across from the drive way I was delivering to I was on a moffet fork lift I had come out on the road to get a bundle of lumber of the truck when I saw a car commeing up on my left I started to back back into the driveway and the car did not wait...

Car Accident Liability [ 3 Answers ]

I parked my car on a busy, business district road. I had gotten out of the car and someone in my back seat got out of the car hitting a passing car and breaking the rear view mirror on the passing car. Who is liable?

Auto Accident Liability [ 3 Answers ]

My 18 year old daughter and four friends drove to South Carolina (we are in Pennsylvania), using one of the friend's car (in her father's name). My daughter was at a drive-thru window and the vehicle behind her hit them causing a very small scratch on the bumper. The police were called and said...

Accident claim beyond limits of liability [ 4 Answers ]

Thank you for taking the time to read my question: I am wondering, what I should consider for a settlement in my accident, the other party was at fault, and my current bills are just under the limits of liabilty with the possibility of future surgery costing nearly $30,000. Here are the...

View more questions Search