Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    akhtar1984 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 11:20 AM
    Can any particle escape from the event horizon of the black hole?
    I want to say that can any paticle, either it is virtual or real, escape from the event horizon of the black hole?
    kryostar Posts: 108, Reputation: 11

Aug 4, 2010, 07:10 AM

Yes if it has enough velocity it can break free from the gravitational pull of a black hole
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 5, 2010, 05:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kryostar View Post
    yes if it has enough velocity it can break free from the gravitational pull of a black hole
    Not quite right. The definition of the event horizon is the distance from the center of the black hole where the escape velocity is equal to the speed of light. Anything inside the event horizon would require a velocity in excess of the speed of light in order to escape, which of course is impossible. Thus no particle can escape based on having sufficient speed - including light photons, and hence the name "black hole."

However, Stephen Hawking showed that black holes can give off thermal radiation - and thus energy, and thus mass - and consequently over time a black hole can actually evaporate away. This effect is pronounced only for very small black holes - those that are smaller than the mass of the moon. Black holes that are larger than that (such as the "typical" black hole we think of as being the remains of a collapsed star) emit so little thermal radiation that their black body temperature is actually less than the cosmic background temperature of 2.7 kelvins. Consequently these black holes don't radiate away at all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sci Fi/Horror flick (similar to Event Horizon) [ 8 Answers ]

Been scraping my mind for the name of a sci fi horror film I watched on the scifi channel sometime between 2000 and 2004. What I remember: >Takes place completely on a spaceship/station >Crew members become paranoid and start killing each other, committing suicide, etc... >There's a scene...

Can any particle escape from the event horizon of the black hole? [ 2 Answers ]

Can any particle escape from the event horizon of the black hole?

Does black hole really exsist ? [ 5 Answers ]

science books tell us that black holes are real If then , where is it and what actually is it?

The Black Hole [ 6 Answers ]

Ive always wondered about black holes. I know that it is a region of space in which the gravitational field is so powerful that nothing can escape after having fallen past the event horizon, not even light. Does anyone know anything else, because I am so curious about it!:p

View more questions Search