Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Snap96 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 11:13 AM
    Bsmt rough in.re:wood frame in concrete where tub piping is located.
    My home was roughed in for a basement bathroom when it was built and I'm now in the process of finishing the bsmt.

There is a wood 12"x14" frame in the concrete where the bathtub piping is located a few inches under the gravel. The wood frame is not flush with the concrete and sticks up a couple inches above the concrete. I knocked out one side and then thuoght maybe I shouldn't have done that.

Can the wood frame be removed completely? The reason I ask is that I'm installing dricore subfloor panels so the wood frame protrusion poses a problem when laying the panels. I was thinking about removing the wood frame and laying the dricore over the opening making sure to cut the panels to have access to the piping below. Once the plumber installs the proper connections do you fill in the 12x14 hole with concrete or gravel?

Thanks for your help.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 25, 2010, 01:25 PM
    Hi Snap:

You are supposed to remove the wood frame so remove the other 3 pieces and you're all set. Once the plumber finishes his work you can leave it as it is... no need to fill.

What kind of tub is getting installed? If fiberglass or acrylic talk to the plumber and check to see that he plans to set the tub in a bedding sustrate (mortar or structolite). If the manufacturer of the tub recommends it then it's a good idea to do because it reduces creaking noises from the tub.. also acts as an insulator if you take baths... ;)

Mark
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 25, 2010, 01:28 PM

The wood box most likely covers drain pipe for tub. But it may also cover drain for toilet - but that we won't know unless you post picture of your floor showing the situation.

If the box covers tub drain than I would recommend not to install floor panels under the tub. Tub should seat directly on concrete. As Mark already stated there is no need to fill-in the void after the box is removed.

If this box covers inlet for toilet than you can remove the wooden box, fill-in hole with concrete, run floor panels over the entire area with cut-out so you can glue closet ring to the pipe later on.
    Snap96 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 02:08 PM

Thanks for your help. Exactly what I was looking for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Double trap OK? Rough in piping + tub trap [ 10 Answers ]

The way the 2" rough in went we ended up with a trap of sorts then a pipe to where the tub trap will be. Not completed yet. Just wondering if a tub trap and a trap made with the rough in piping will cause some sort of problem. The rough in trap was made off a 4x4x2 wye. Would that be adequate...

Wood stove piping leaking [ 6 Answers ]

I have a wood stove and the piping is leaking right at the spot it comes through the ceeiling. It leaking around the pipe. I don't use the stove due to the location of my computer and TV. I have the cap blocked off but water is still coming in. where could this be coming from

Wood burning stove piping [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I live in NY I have a wood burning stove with 6" smoke pipe, my unit is in the corner caddy corner. I have at least 18 inches all around but I am coming up with a 24 inch straight single wall dura black into a 90 degree into a 45 then a straight out the wall through the thimble. Had to...

Cast Iron piping under concrete filled with dirt [ 5 Answers ]

Our house resides on a ranch, a 4 inch slab of concrete. The full bathroom is located directly straight from the access area on our front lawn (sewer). We had a problem with water backing up there, so we had roto rooter snake it, which relieved the problem. But we were still experiencing bubbles...

Exterior door In brick- Can I reduce wood frame thickness [ 1 Answers ]

I Have an exterior door leading into my basement. It is in a cinderblock foundation. The door frame is built out of 2x can I rip it out and replace it with 1x pt to mount a new pre hung door? Thanks in advance.

View more questions Search