Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DeNiro Posts: 49, Reputation: 2

Feb 25, 2010, 07:55 AM
    My girlfriend wants to lose weight
    Can anyone recommend any good exercises she can do at home with or without dumbbells, that will help her burn fat? Esp from her tummy and upper body. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks,:)
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2010, 08:02 AM

Body weight squats are a great. She could start with hands straight out in front of her, then progress to hands on top of head, then start doing one-leg squats.

Step-ups and lunges are good too.

Press-ups, and all the variations of press-up are a great upper body exercise. Hands closer together work the triceps more.

Bicycle crunch (left elbow to right knee, right elbow to left knee) is one of the most effective core exercises at home.

However, you can't spot reduce, and trying to crunch away a layer of fat over your tummy is a waste of time. The way to shift bodyfat in general, but particularly tummy fat is diet and cardio.
    DeNiro Posts: 49, Reputation: 2

Feb 25, 2010, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the tips Eileen.:) Are there any books on weight loss exercises you could recommend that I can buy, so she can devise a thorough programme?
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2010, 01:00 PM

Try looking at ExRx (Exercise Prescription) on the Net It really does have everything on it, from beginner up to professional.

For actual weight loss, then you need cardio like cycling, running, power walking, sparring, dancing, swimming, etc. The sort of thing you do for at least 30 minutes, and which make you sweat and puff. They burn lots of calories, which eventually translates into fat loss.

Resistance exercise makes you strong and fit and look really good in the buff.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Healthy weight? Or lose weight? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to raise my fitness level and loose wieght around my stomach, and upper legs. Although my family and friends say losing wieght would be dangerous, but I think there just saying that. Im so confused, I see myself as overweight and my family sees me as fine. I hate being so self...

Can I lose weight? [ 4 Answers ]

I was told that it will be hard for me to lose weight. I just had a baby 3 months ago. I had to have a c-section. I was told its harder to lose the belly if you have a c-section. I gained about 80lbs during my pregnancy. I've noticed that a lot of my friends that have had baby vaginally look like...

I need to lose serious weight soon [ 7 Answers ]

I currently weight 245 lbs and I am 20 yrs old. I know I am young and I should lose weight fast, but I'm not. I don't have a tiroid problem but I'm wanting to get down to 150lbs at least. Does anyone know what exercise helps lose weight the best. I walk sometimes but it wasn't helping. And what...

Trying to lose weight! [ 1 Answers ]

I am thinking of becoming a model, I am 5'11' so I am tall enough, I wear a 36d bra, I have a 28 inch waist which is too big and weigh 130 lbs, how can I lose this weight, it seems to be concentrated in my stomach. Any ideas?? I know I probably sound like a for complaining but I really want to be...

Lose weight [ 1 Answers ]

Hey wts the easiest way to lose weight and tone up please help wb soon xxx:confused:

View more questions Search