Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bk914 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 07:14 AM
    How long can an employer hold a paycheck
    My husband employer never makes payroll on time. They work all week and then on payday they can't make payroll. They are always waiting for that big check. Then when the check comes in the office manager (The son of the boss) spends it and the employees don't get paid. He is now over two weeks behind in payroll. He often uses the excuse he can't pay because of payroll tax. It is going on now for over five months. My husband never knows if he is going to get a paycheck. Everyone is worried but afraid to make a stink because they are afraid of getting fired. It is difficult to pay our bills this way. My husband has only been working here for two years. We live in Ohio, is this even legal and what can we do? He wants to keep his job but he needs a paycheck too.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2010, 09:13 AM

An employer not being able to meet payroll is a sign that the company won't be around much longer.

You can complain to the local employment commission, but I don't think it will do much good.

I would be making every effort to find another workplace.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Texas law... how long does an employer have to correct and incorrect paycheck? [ 3 Answers ]

I started a new job as a Nursing Supervisor a month ago. On my first paycheck I noticed that the pay rate was $4/hr less than it was supposed to be. Payroll said No problem that it would be added to my next paycheck. Second paycheck (a week ago) the rate is still $4/hr less and correction from...

How can I get my former employer to send me my paycheck? [ 2 Answers ]

I worked from 11/19/2007 to 12/02/2007 then they let me go and now they are giving me the run around about my paycheck. I worked 43.36 hours at $8.00/hr. They owe me $348.80. What can I do to get my paycheck?

Who do you call when your employer won't give you your paycheck after termination? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. My boyfriend just put in his two week notice last Friday after finding a better paying job. After six days, there was an investigation done by local detective. Nothing has been concluded so far but it did result in firing 5 people. There is no proof that any of these people did anything...

View more questions Search