Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    azwerty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 03:45 AM
    Which drive to load os on ?
    Which drive on a laptop (ibm t22 ) c or d should the os be on ? It is currently on the c drive but is running very slow ,d drive has double the capacity ,should I reload the os to the d drive ? Thanks in advance.
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2010, 08:22 AM

It should be on your C drive.

Actually, the size of the drive will have no effect on how fast the computer runs. The main factor in speed is how many programs, processes, services, etc. are started when you first sign on.

If you were going to reload the OS anyway, I'd back up all your personal documents, photos, etc. to the D drive and then just re-install Windows on the C drive. Make sure you have installation disks for any purchased programs (like Microsoft Office, etc). Once the OS is installed, run Windows Update 5-6 times to get all the patches necessary to bring your install up to date. Then, download PC Decrapifier at http://www.pcdecrapifier.com and run it to remove the stuff that you don't really need or want. [Note, if you are installing the OS from a retail Windows CD, you don't need to decrapify.]

Your computer should now run just as fast as the day you bought it. Note that that might not seem as fast now as it did back then!

The next step is to re-install all the programs you really need.

It is probably an all-day process to do all these steps, so plan ahead.

Hope this helps,
    WallyH

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore front load washer won't agitate/spin if load too heavy [ 2 Answers ]

My Kenmore front loading washer, model 417.43042200, won't agitate or spin to complete the cycle if the load is too heavy, such as 5 bath towels. If I take off the back and help turn the drum in the agitate or spin mode it will agitate/spin and complete the cycle. The pump still drains the tub. If...

277/480 load after transformer = to 120/208 load feed [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 800 amp 120/208 3P stand up section that feeds a step up 90kva transformer and the loads are nearly equal? I thought that after the transformer the load of 277/480 would be drawing less. We have about 500 amps per phase being drawn in front of the transformer and the load at the sub...

D drive not on My Computer; can't load software [ 1 Answers ]

I have two removable CD Rom drives for this Dell Inspiring 3800. Both are not working. I am trying to install a hP printer and it is not even recognizing the software. The icon of My computer does not even show I have a D drive. What do I do now? I need to install this printer.

Compaq laptop Hard Drive won't load windows xp [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Compaq 3015us laptop that's acting up. Upon start up the compaq splash screen comes up as it should then then the computer runs bios and the next screen asks which boot device I would like to use, Hard Drive (C), CD Rom (D) or Floopy Drive (A), and its never done that before. The...

How to load OS without Cd drive [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a IBM X22 laptop without any drives. I used to load any software using USB drive but now I want to format my laptop and load fresh copy of operating system. I don't want to buy any external drives as I don't use them at all. Can I configure my setup so that it directly reads from a...

View more questions Search