Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rs232c Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 02:09 AM
    Extend Private Network
    I have an FCC licensed 40 foot antenna that I would like to extend to license data to expand my local network - not internet traffic - a distance of about 30 miles. About 1MB or so speed would be plenty.

What kind of hardware device do I need to connect the antenna to a nic card on a server and where do I get one?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2010, 03:07 AM

You usually license transmitters.

What exactly are we talking about? A VLF transmitter or something in the microwave range, a HAM radio?

Antenna's don't connect to NIC cards especially when They are located on the server.

Totally clueless as to what your asking. Serially challenged.

Feb 25, 2010, 03:23 AM

My antenna transmitter is licesened and I will amend that FCC license for data. Both are extremely expensive in the 10's of thousands I have and will spend.

That means that I will be able to use my antenna as a wireless access point if I can understand what type of device to use. A much smaller scale would be to use my antenna in the same way you connect a small antenna to a router that is not wireless, thereby making it wireless.

I am looking for commercial grade stuff, not DIY or the home market. I need to know what to ask, where to look, or who to talk to for the project.

If you've ever seen an FCC application it does ask what use you are applying for a commercial grade tower - and one of the choices is data (not voice, alpha-numeric or tone).

Hope this clears it up a little.

Feb 25, 2010, 03:25 AM
    One other point - none of my local radio tower vendors that I have spoken to are certified or have any experience installing commercial towers for data.
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2010, 03:42 AM

Since we are not getting anywhere, I'll give you this link for starters: Shop by Frequency

The frequency matters, line of sight matters, modulation matters, One way or two way communication matters.

Is it, that you do not have anything in mind at the present time except 40' of height to mount an antenna and/or transmitter?

One way or two-way data?

Feb 25, 2010, 03:58 AM

Thanks for hanging in there.

Two way data extending my local network. That means I can use a laptop or other device to connect to my servers without using any ISP.

I don't know what frequency to use that will be addressed by the technician. I do know that I will turn on my laptop, find my wireless network, and sign into my servers with my nic card within a 30 mile radius.

Feb 25, 2010, 04:00 AM
    Perhaps this will help ( as well as an editing button on this site). I can take my laptop outside and still connect to my local network. Now I want to do it 30 miles away without using another ISP just my router. That's why I have a commercial grade tower.

Feb 25, 2010, 04:04 AM
    OH, just to repeat - when I connect to my server it will be only local, no internet access. I can even disable that by MAC address in the router if I have to.

The page you sent seems close, but do you have a better understanding of what I am asking for?
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2010, 04:05 AM

So, it's not something like this: http://www.solectek.com/files/pdf/da...y-7000-PtP.pdf which is PtP communications.

Which may mean looking into Wimax.

Now we seem to be getting somewhere.
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2010, 04:10 AM
    Wimax: Howstuffworks "How WiMAX Works"

Feb 25, 2010, 04:15 AM

If I understand the page right, we hook up the SkyWay 7501, go up to 30 miles away, turn on my laptop, find the signal and connect to my router just like I was walking around the office with my wireless nic card?

Feb 25, 2010, 04:26 AM

If I understand soltec right, we install the SkyWay 7501 go up to 30 miles out, turn on my laptop and connect just like I was in the office with my NIC card?

The Wimax sounds like a branch to branch straight line, not mobile.
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2010, 04:28 AM

Clear.com High Speed Mobile / Wireless Internet Service Provider is a Wimax based ISP operating in some markets.

You can check their website out.

So, you may be able to put up a tower and sell excess internet capacity. You don't need it, but someone else might.

Feb 25, 2010, 04:31 AM

WiMax uses an ISP for a monthly fee. I am looking to use my equipment, or other equipment, that will extend my local network without paying monthly fees to an ISP.
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2010, 04:42 AM

The Skyway looks point to point and Wimax is not line of sight.

WiMax is a Technology like wireless g, wireless n, Bluetooth and is composed of both line of sight and non line of sight components.

Dongles exist now that make the technology possible for Laptops similar to the Wireless cards.

The issues might be the need for 3 or 4 or more antenna/transmitters around the tower to get the radial coverage and an exclusive license to operate without sharing.

Feb 25, 2010, 04:52 AM

Thank you. I have a starting point to call for information. It's more than I had this week trying to find someone with this type of experience.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Virtual private network [ 2 Answers ]

Hi guys, Does anyone know a free virtual private network download other than Hotspot Shield? Thanks

How to make D-LINK wireless network private? [ 2 Answers ]

I have successfully set-up a d-link wireless network but it is unsecured. How can I make it secured so my PC will not be at risk? I am not really into PC. Thank you.

Private network [ 2 Answers ]

British Sky Broadcasting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Can you say how much this company worth ? I mean how much is to pay to have 100 % of the company ?

How to extend 10/100 Lan Network [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We are providing Internet Services to customers by using CAT5e cable with 10-Base-T Hubs and switches. We are placing a 8-port hub with one Uplink port after every 230-240 meter, using this uplink port as a repeater we extend the wire to next 230-240 meters and place a Hub again. In case we...

View more questions Search