Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ravana2 Posts: 146, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 01:06 AM
    First division universities ?
    What universities in the usa are in the first division ?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 25, 2010, 01:24 AM
    They are known as the Ivy League.
    Ivy League - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It does really depend in what field you are referring to.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 25, 2010, 10:11 AM

Curlyben is absolutely correct - it all depends on what you want to study. But I would add that while the Ivy League is perhaps the most prestigious in the US for academics, any list of top academic schools would be incomplete without Stanford, MIT, Duke, and the University of Chicago (I figure that as an Ivy Leaguer myself I can afford to be a bit magnanimous).

However, I suspect the OP was asking about sports, not academics, as the term "first division" is used with sports league in Europe. In the US the National Collegiate Athletic Conference (NCAA) divides schools into several major divisions, the top being "Division 1." The list of schools that are D1 varies depending on the particular sport. You can figure out who is in what division here: Division I - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and NCAA Division Division I Member Sports Links

Interesting factoid: the Ivy League has more Division 1 sports teams than any other league in the country, and by a big margin.

Mar 4, 2010, 08:16 AM

In what division play byu and with what other universities ?
    Expert

Mar 4, 2010, 08:42 AM

You can learn all about BYU sports here:

BYUCougars.com - Official Site of BYU Athletics

BYU is in the Mountam West Conference, which includes Air Force, Brigham Young, Colorado State, New Mexico, San Diego State, TCU, UNLV, Utah and Wyoming. More info here:
    BYUCougars.com - Athletic Conferences

Mar 5, 2010, 03:03 AM

Can you tell me how good is byu ranked in education . Is it good , excellent or average university ?
    Expert

Mar 5, 2010, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ravana2 View Post
    can you tell me how good is byu ranked in education . is it good , excellent or average university ?
    It's a very subjective question. More important that a university's overall ranking is it's reputation in the particular area of study that you are interesetd in, and the "fit" of the school to your particular desires. In the case of BYU you're talking about a school that is owned by the Mormon Church. If that's what you want, then its academic ranking is secondary.

Having said that, here's a ranking list that does not include BYU in the top 100 universities world-wide:

Academic Ranking of World Universities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And another that does not include it in the top 200:
    2010 World University Ranking | Top 200 Universities in the world

Mar 5, 2010, 10:53 AM

First of all I am not a mormon and the second I do not ask for myself . My brother will go to study in the usa next year and I want to find him university that will fit him .

He do not smoke or drink and I want some university where he will not different from the other . Religion here is secondary because he hate almost everyone that smoke and drink include me :) .

Do I think correctly when I recommend him byu ?
    Expert

Mar 5, 2010, 11:13 AM

Many schools in the US provide the option for students to live in "substance-free" dormitories that require all occupants to not smoke, drink, or use drugs in the building. This may be an option if he wants to go to a school that doesn't prohibit all such activity outright - I believe most schools offer this option. And be aware that most kids in the US do not smoke, and a fair percentage do not drink either, so this should not cause him to stand out as being different.

Mar 5, 2010, 11:31 AM

Does at least mormon university provide him some network that will help him if he find himself in difficulties ? He will live in different continent and he will need some help for shore .

After he finish university does he have any benefice to live and work in Utah as a byu student ? What is practice with former byu students after they finish university ?

Does they stay in Utah with some help or they are lived at there own ?
    Expert

Mar 8, 2010, 10:02 AM

Most large universities have very diverse populations, including many foreign students, so he should be able to find a "network" no matter where he goes. But it's something that he should ask about as he investigates different schools - some are more "welcoming" of people from different backgrounds and cultures than others. Personally, I'd be a little concerned about having him go to a religous-centered school like BYU given he is not of that religion - he may find it adds just one more element of difficulty with respect to fitting in with other students. Just something to consider.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Synthetic Division [ 7 Answers ]

x to the 3rd-9x squared-8x-4/x+3=

Property division [ 1 Answers ]

How do I freeze my ex-partners mortgage account?

How do I do division with more than one digit [ 1 Answers ]

It has been a while since I worked with division, and I am helping my 5th grader with his... How do I divide 825 by 22 working it out on paper

View more questions Search