Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jet77 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2010, 01:02 PM
    How to move a sink on a cement foundation?
    Ok, Im wanting to move my sink and dishwasher from an inside corner of my kitchen to an island. My house has a cement foundation and my husband says we can't move the pipes. I want to know what my options are. Can you move water and drains or whatever there is under there?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2010, 06:58 PM

What u described is a slab floor. To move waste and water to an island u would have to break up concrete for the pipes.

Chuck
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2010, 07:35 PM

You could use a concrete saw to score the cement floor that you have and then break out a trench to put the pipes into the island, it would be lots of work but can be done,

Is this something you are considering doing yourself or hiring someone to do it for you.
    jet77 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2010, 08:19 PM
    Oh I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it. I would hire someone to do it. So exactly how much work would this be? I mean it's only being moved maybe 5 feet or so, but are we talking like weeks worth of work or it can be done in a shorter time? Do you know about how much someone would charge for this?
    truck 41 Posts: 221, Reputation: 21

Feb 24, 2010, 10:51 PM

In a perfect world you would have your plumber, electrician, mason, carpenter, drywaller, floor finisher, cabinet guy, painter, all on the same schedule. But more than likely, its not going to be that smooth, you may want to consider an expert in remodels to get a better idea in what's involved in achieving what you have in mind. Hireing a general contractor would take the pressure off you, and put it in the G.C.'s hands to hire and schedule any subs needed to accomplish your goals, and to achieve a satifactory finish of your project. Good luck! ----Zeke----
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 25, 2010, 07:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    My house has a cement foundation and my husband says we can't move the pipes. I want to know what my options are. Can you move water and drains or whatever there is under there?.
    You are talking major surgery here. The slab will have to be jack hammered up, the cabinets and sink will have to be removed and, depending upon which plumbing Code you fall under your island sink rough in will look like this. (see image). If your code allows a AAV the drain and water will still go under the slab but you may vent with a AAV. (see image). As I said, which one you use will depend on local codes. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2010, 12:35 PM

A lot of the work could be scheduled to be done before any tear out in the kitchen itself was started. The island could be built in the cabinet makers shop, ready to drop into place. As well any new cabinet work that is going to go where the sink is now could be done in advance. That would leave the breaking of the concrete, installing the plumbing and electrical underground replacing the concrete. That should be able to be done in less that a week. That leaves the work where the sink was taken out, so another week. Plus a week for the time delays that just happen no matter how good you plan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Move kitchen sink drain [ 11 Answers ]

My kitchen sink drain is cast iron. And my problem is, is that it drops down into the basement, below my joists and then does a straight diagonal bee line to the drain stack. Right where it is located is where we walk to get to the washer and dryer and I have to duck because of it. Plus, I want to...

Tub & bath sink not draining, slab foundation and septic system [ 1 Answers ]

The tub and bathroom sink will not drain. I have plunged and have used chemicals. This house is on a slab foundation and septic tank. All of the other plumbing in house is fine, ie: kitchen,washer,etc.

I used pvc cement instead of all purpose cement [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced some old pipes with cpvc and then realized that the cement was not all purpose, just pvc. Will it hold?

How to move a sink drain? [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Need answers to bathroom remodel. Please. I have a 1940's home and I don't have much space. To add more storage I need to either move the floor drain to the sink, so I can add a 18" cabinet to store towels, or I have to move the toilet, because your knees would hit the new cabinet while...

View more questions Search