Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hslove142331 Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2010, 10:36 AM
    how much potassium-40 did the rock contain 1.3 x 109 years ago?
    1.If a rock sample was found to contain 5.60 x 10-7 mol of argon-40, how much potassium-40 did the rock contain 1.3 x 109 years ago?

2.A wooden door lintel from an excavated site in Mexico would be expected to have what ratio of carbon-14 to carbon-12 atoms if the lintel is 9.0 x 103 yr old?

How can I find like that type of question?
    I didn't learn yet. I really want to know how to solve that two problems.Please help
    But I really want to know how to do like that problems
    IF have any equation or like that please help me
    Thanks
    sveegaard Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Feb 25, 2010, 05:41 AM

You need to use exponential decay (f(t) = A + B*exp(C*t)). You also need the halflife of and - do ypu know about all of this?

Feb 25, 2010, 08:42 AM
    I really don't know how to do it..
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 25, 2010, 12:11 PM

The rate of radipoactive decay is called "half life," and is the length of time it takes for one half of a particular isotope to turn into its daughter isotope. Here you have K-40, which turns into Ar-40 with a half life of 1.25 x 10^9 years. The half life formula is this:

where is the concentration of K-40 as a function of time, is the initial concentration, is time (in years) and is the half life (also in years).

So for the first problem: You know that t = 1.3 x 10^9 (which is awfully close to the half life value - I wonder if your text book uses this as the half life value rather than 1.25 x 10^9 ?), and H = 1.25 x 10^9. Therefore:

Hence 48% of the K-40 is remaining, which means 52% of the K-40 has turned into Ar-40. Since you now have 5.6 x 10-7 mole of Ar-40, that means you started with:

5.6 x 10^(-7)/ 0.52 = 1.08 x 10-6 moles K-40.

Now - can you do the second problem?

Feb 25, 2010, 04:19 PM
    Sorry.. your answer is not correct.. anyway thanks
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 26, 2010, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hslove142331 View Post
    Sorry..your answer is not correct..anyway thanks
    So you figured out what the correct answer is? Please post it, so I can see where I went wrong. Thanks.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2010, 11:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    So you figured out what the correct answer is? Please post it, so I can see where I went wrong. Thanks.
    Oh, ebaines, I need to tell you. Hsolve is using a program I think on the computer and the program requires you to insert the answer. Then it will tell you whether it's right or wrong.

Btw, the code for the multiply symbol is '\times' ebaines.

It's perhaps as you suggested ebaines, I mean, the program uses 1.3x10^9, making the final answer as 1.12x10^-6.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My first love x 20 years ago- broke my heart - tortured dreams - called me 1 week ago [ 18 Answers ]

Ok, really confused here and I am not sure why it even effects me still so badly (annoyed with that fact actually) To understand I have to tell a little story: 1. I was a kid in high school, from a small town with a crappy childhood and I fell hard for a guy that absolutely broke my heart...

Looking for the name of a movie I saw years ago [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all I have tried out a couple of these sites before but to no such luck lol here's my question, I saw this movie once quite a few years back and I remember most of the story but I cannot think of the name, here's what I remember about the movie, there's this guy who's like an apprentice or...

Write a balanced chemical equation for: potassium oxide+ water= potassium hydroxide [ 1 Answers ]

write a balanced chemical equation for: potassium oxide+ water= potassium hydroxide

Judgement against me over 2 years ago [ 1 Answers ]

I have a old judgement against me, I was served by papers being left at x-girl friends door. I never got papers, Do I have any options ? What is motion called to reopen based on not being in court? Please help.

2.5 years ago.before I was engaged [ 6 Answers ]

I cheated. It was a relationship (barely physical-just kissed) but it was with someone I know very well and deeply loved-still love. I'm still thinking about this person who owns so much of my heart and I don't know what to do. My husband is a wonderful man but can't compare to this person. I...

View more questions Search