Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    craig1981 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2010, 06:50 AM
    Pioneer help desk
    I have bought 2 ir receivers for my pioneer amp. It seems that all I'm supposted to do is plug the lead into the back of the amp(ir in). But nothing happens? What am I doing wrong?
    DanielF Posts: 158, Reputation: 14

Feb 24, 2010, 10:34 PM

I don't understand what you're doing.

Can you give us a model number for the Pioneer amp, and what the 'IR receivers' are supposed to do?

Daniel

Feb 25, 2010, 02:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielF View Post
    I don't understand what you're doing.

Can you give us a model number for the Pioneer amp, and what the 'IR receivers' are supposed to do?

Daniel
    Sorry, it is a pioneer vsx-819h. The ir receiver should allow me to control my amp whilst it is in a consealed cupboard (like a sky magic eye). The ir stands for infared and the amp has an (ir in) on the back. Hope this makes a bit more sense!

Feb 25, 2010, 04:23 AM

Craig,

OK, now I understand what you're trying to do.

Tell me more about the IR receiver (brand/model), and exactly how you've installed it/them. Why did you buy two?

Daniel

Feb 25, 2010, 05:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielF
    Craig,

OK, now I understand what you're trying to do.

Tell me more about the IR receiver (brand/model), and exactly how you've installed it/them. Why did you buy two?

Daniel
    Hi, I bought 2 because I thought the first one might have been faulty, they don't seem to have a make on them, they are just a black wire with a 3.5mm jack on one end that plugs into the back of the amp in the ir in. the other end has a black 1cm diameter globe with a bulb in the middle that should flash red when signal detected. I've searched the net and it seems that a few people have struggled with this on the pioneer amp. It is advertised in the manual that this can be done by connecting it the way I have done.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2010, 06:52 AM

Your Manual says a Niles or Xantech Receiver.
    http://www.xantech.com/Infrared/Infrared/DLPCRTRcvrs/
    http://www.nilesaudio.com/product_de...hp?recordID=IR Sensors&categoryID=Ingenious IR&catcdID=5
    I would get one with the plug attached.
    Verify you have remote set for receiver.
    You can verify the remote is putting out IR, by viewing remote with a Digital Camera or Cell phone with a Camera, by viewing while pressing buttons on the remote. Will show as white pulsed light. Your eyes cannot see this.

Feb 25, 2010, 03:42 PM

Craig,

As Stratmando says, there are only two brands mentioned in the vsx-819h manual, and if you didn't get one of those brands, there's a possibility that the ones you have are not compatible with the vsx-819h.

The IR receiver obviously requires power, and I'm assuming that the 3.5mm plug is a stereo plug with power coming through one 'channel' connection (from the vsx-819h) and the received signal going into the vsx-819h via the other 'channel' connection.

I suspect there's no industry standard for these connections (I could be wrong; not an expert in IR inputs), and it could be as simple as an incompatible receiver having the opposite 'channel' assignments of the vsx-819h.

The other important issue is that the IR receiver's 'globe' (as you call it) needs to be outside the cabinet, and oriented so that it has 'line-of-sight' to the remote control (hand-held transmitter).

Did the IR receiver supplier guarantee that they were compatible with the vsx-819h? If not, return them and then find one of the 'recommended' brands that should work with it.

Daniel

Feb 25, 2010, 04:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Your Manual says a Niles or Xantech Receiver.
    Xantech.com
    Niles Audio Corporation Sensors&categoryID=Ingenious IR&catcdID=5
    I would get one with the plug attached.
    Verify you have remote set for receiver.
    You can verify the remote is putting out IR, by viewing remote with a Digital Camera or Cell phone with a Camera, by viewing while pressing buttons on the remote. Will show as white pulsed light. Your eyes cannot see this.
    Wow I never new that, just tried with my cell phone and I can see a light really clear. Thanks for that. So if I get a xantech ir receiver with 3.5mm jack and plug it in to ir in at back of unit then it should work?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2010, 04:58 PM

Hopefully, Xantech is Great. Keep us Posted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pioneer help desk [ 4 Answers ]

Can my vsx-819h work a subwoofer that is not powered? I set up a speaker wire with a rca connection to the subwoofer out on the back of the receiver but no sound comes out of the sub?

Pioneer subs [ 12 Answers ]

What does the dual mean in front of the ohms? Like 1200 w dual 4 ohm sub

Yamaha vs. Pioneer [ 0 Answers ]

Hi everyone! We're building a house and my husband arranged for the contractor to install in-ceiling wiring and speakers for a home theater system. (Of course he didn't bother to talk to me about it first.) So now I've found out that we have the following: 5 speakers by Proficient Audio...

View more questions Search