Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kristina19 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2006, 09:49 AM
    My ex has temorary legal custody of our 14 month old, how do I get her back?
    My ex and I were never married, Im 19 and he will 42 this year. I was only 17 when I had her. Our relationship was never a good one, he was always drinking. He's got a lot of mental health issues. This past July he kicked me and my daughter out, changed the locks and got a restraining order against me. So I moved about 2 hours away and attempted to start a new life for my daughter and I. We had an open case with DSS for domestic violence so I had to keep in contact with them. They never really mentioned much that her father even wanted to see her let alone get full custody of her. So I recently started to take her to visit him. Last week I went back to pick her up and he wouldn't allow me to take her. He claims he has temporary legal custody? I was never informed. Why? Im her mother. How can he be fit to care for her when he's not only an alcoholic but he's a diagnosed bipolar schitsaphrenic. Hes lied to the courts about me using drugs, being a prostitute and several other things. Help! I want my baby girl back. What do I do?
    serialwife Posts: 117, Reputation: 16

Nov 27, 2006, 04:49 PM
    Kristina,
    Did he show you a court order stating that he has custody of your daughter? If not he doesn't have temporary custody and you both have equal rights. In order for him to get custody you would have had to be served with some kind of paperwork either and Emergency custody order stating the reasons he believes you unfit or a Emergency Protection Order again stating why you are unfit. Both sets of papers would have given you a date to appear in court. No one can give custody except a judge. Did DSS give him your child? When you go to court you need an attorney.. ask for them to appoint a lawyer if possible. If you have more questions message me.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 27, 2006, 04:56 PM
    Heather is correct, there is no way he could get any sort of custody without you being served notice of a hearing. I would contact the local police and accuse him of kidnapping.

Also check with DSS, they would know if he even applied for custody. But it certainly sounds like he snowed you.

Another aspect of this is, if you had the child when you were 17, the odds are you started having sex with him at 16. He could be guilty of statutory rape. I really think you need to talk to the police.
    serialwife Posts: 117, Reputation: 16

Nov 27, 2006, 05:00 PM
    Scott could be right about statutory rape. Discuss the age of consent in your state with local law enforcement. Oh, be aware that if you begin a custody battle both parties could be asked to submit to drug screens, home evals and psych evals.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 27, 2006, 08:16 PM
    You need an attorney and file in court for custody, basically without a custody hearing you both have just the same rights to have the child.

He is the father, you are the mother, so go to court to get a court order.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal fees for custody [ 6 Answers ]

We are considering taking on legal custody of 15 yr. old who's parents don't want him. He is my sister's son and therefore we are aunt and uncle. We feel that the biological parents should be responsible for the legal fees involved with the custody process. Is it reasonable to expect this and is it...

Notice required on a month to month lease? [ 9 Answers ]

I signed a 1 year lease that ended on July 31, 2006 in Minnesota. The lease states that if resident stays in the apt after the lease ends, with managements approval, it becomes a month to month lease. I stayed. The notice period stated in the lease is 60 days, effective the last day of the month....

Delaware month to month tenant notification of moving out [ 2 Answers ]

Information on the Delaware notification of intent to vacate premises for month to month Tenants. Property management office states you need to give them sixty day notice And then I heard you only have to get a 30 day notice which is it. :confused: royal

6 month old malteserolls on her back and urinates [ 2 Answers ]

Every time l enter the room and greet my 6 month old pup she rolls over on her back with enjoyment and urinates. Any ideas why she does this?

2 years MIA file for legal physical custody? [ 3 Answers ]

I just found out that it is possible for my daughters father to file for legal physical custody of my daughter who he has not seen in 2 and a half years and he is not on her birth certificate (as of yet-his choice)... he was emotionally abusive to me and has never respected her... even terrorized...

View more questions Search