Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kellbell913 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2010, 07:52 PM
    Can sallie mae garnish back pay lump sum from SSDI for defaulted student loan?
    I have just found out that my ssdi was approved. I haven't even received my award letter yet. I have a defaulted student loan and I'm aware they can garnish my monthly check (once I start receiving it.) I'm going to apply to have my student loan discharged for total and permanent disability but it will take time, if I am approved at all.

My question is; can they garnish the lump sum of back pay that I will receive from ssdi (because of waiting 2 years to get approved for disability.)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2010, 05:13 PM

You need to run this past your disability attorney if you have one handling your case. Since this is a government student loan you defaulted on the possibility is very high this could happen.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 24, 2010, 05:46 PM

It is possible, or they may do a percent of it,

Student loans can not normally be discharged even with bankruptcy. And student loans garnishment is normal even for disability.
    Nameless_in_FL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2012, 12:10 PM
    Sorry, but yes, they can take your entire back payment check for not only defaulted student loans, but any type government loan, these type loans are NOT unforgivable and can't be written off, unlike a mortgage or bank loan can. If you owe back child support payments, they can also take your full back payment, even if it doesn't cover the full amount. Then the gov't will garnish your monthly income. Didn't happen to me, but this all happened to my brother in law, they not only took his back payment, garnished his monthly SSD, but froze every bank accout he had.

So be warned, it can and probably will happen. Just glad I did not have any of this when I got my SSDI, otherwise I'd be in the crapper like my brother in law.

Now if you have a relative you can trust and get the back payment before the gov't finds out, you could always stick it in their account, but you better have some tight bonds there, because your name can not be on the account anywhere, otherwise, they'll do the same to that persons account.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pay taxes on lump sum [ 5 Answers ]

I rolled over my pension to an IRA in which I know wasn't taxable. Later in the year I took out a lump sum amount. I live in NY. I am over 65. Do I have to pay federal and state taxes on that money?

SSDI lump sum pmt paid to insurance company [ 7 Answers ]

HI, I received a lump sum social security payment for back pay for years 2004 through 2007. I had to pay the lump sum to my insurance company since they paid me for those years already. My question is when I fill out taxes, I can claim a credit for the tax in those years since the repayment...

Lump sum mortgage pay off [ 2 Answers ]

If there are no penalties for paying off my mortgage in one lump sum payment, will I have to pay more or less of what I currently owe?

Lump sum mortgage pay off [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to pay off my home mortgage in one lump sum payment, so will I have to Pay more than I currently owe or less?

Defaulted student loan lien on property [ 5 Answers ]

I was previously hospitalized preventing me from paying on my student loans. When I began working again the Alaska State student loan office began garnishing my wages and took my tax refund. I was OK with this because I want the debt paid. They assured me that this was satisfactory and they did...

View more questions Search