Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    muzzer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2006, 07:44 AM
    Bad smell in downstairs bathroom
    We purchased a new house approx one year ago (it was newly built). Shortly after moving in (literally a couple of days) we began to get a bad smell in the downstairs bathroom which consists of a toilet and sink. I located the smell to the sink. The plumbers came, took off the sink and sealed around it again which took away the smell. However, it has now came back again. It isn't coming from the sink again, rather from the area where the sink pipe goes through the hole in the floor below it. The hole is well sealed with silicone but it still seems to be coming through. Also, our living room is adjacent to the toilet, and I can smell the same smell coming from the skirting boards in the living room, at the same point as the sink next door - if you know what I mean. The house is a timber framed house and is only one year old this December. I would appreciate if anyone coule give me any advice or information as to what this problem could be? Thank you. I am from ireland and we are coming into winter here which means it is getting a bit colder, if this has anything to do with it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 27, 2006, 11:30 AM
    "we are coming into winter here which means it is getting a bit colder, if this has anything to do with it."
    It just means that with cold weather the smell will seem worse since smells get heavier in cold weather and stays closer to the ground.
    As for the smell inside your walls you will have to open up the wall and track down the leak. In the US we give a unconditional years warranty with our new homes. Contact your builder and see what he can do. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding venting to an unvented downstairs bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, this is my first post here and I appreciate any help you can give me with a plumbing project I have to figure out in my new old house. When we bought this 1890's house three years ago, it had a downstairs kitchen and half bath and a full upstairs bathroom. I remodeled the kitchen in July...

Ceiling on downstairs neighbors bathroom is leaking. [ 1 Answers ]

My neighbor's bathroom ceiling has a leak. I live in a condo (they were converted from apartments). The neighbor’s bathroom is right under my bathroom, she stated that I must have a leak. I checked all the plumbing that is visible and my toilet is not clogged and has not been clogged there is...

Urine smell in downstairs bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

WE have a bathroom downstairs that has a strong urine smell coming from the shower , either under the shower or in the drain. What can I do about this to figure out why this is happening? Val

Bad Rotting Smell in Bathroom Sink [ 3 Answers ]

In the apartment complex where I work, one of the apartments has a very bad rotting smell coming from the bathroom sink. I have tried chemicals and had lines water jetted with 180 psi. Checked vents and they are clear. Drains are clear and not plugged. Apartment complex is only 3 years old and...

View more questions Search